1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Nice Vince, congrats! I didn't know they made a 2 door.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
How long have you had it? Looks like quite the ride. I wouldn't mind being seen in that, I'd like to put a 4 speed in it.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
posted prior last year i want it! but no money

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Although I appreciate the ZZTop playing in the background since I'm a fan, I'd like to see the undercarriage, under the hood and the interior.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I forgot to mention that, as always, more pictures are available by request. Interested parties can send me a "PM", aka personal message, including your email address, and I will forward more pics direct via email.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Can't believe somebody didn't snap that up Vince? Price seems reasonable enough? IDK what gives honestly - unless everybody is broke like me! In Chi-town there should be plenty of interest I would think.....

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Certainly a unique car. Someone will grab it I'm sure. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
im very interested but no $$$$$

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
The problem with eBay is that the auction had a reserve. I have been watching the Mercury: Other category for three years now and in that time extremely few cars, with reserve, sell. The percentage is very low and if a high starting price the percentage is zero.

Saw a 65 Monterey vert for sale that had a smashed grille, fenders and hood. The seller had a complete undamaged front clip to go with the car. Started at $2000, down to $1500 in 2 months, down to $1000 a month later and then scrapped for probably $500. Sign of the times. You know collectors tend to buy the car they wish they had when young. No one between 16-30 wanted a Marquis/Park Lane/Monterey. Now they are 61-75 and still don't. Those that owned them new are mostly dead now. At least Jack Lord is. I'm pretty sure the day will come when my Park Lane and Polara get scrapped 25+ years from now when I pass from the scene.

Look at this, a 1971 Sport Fury Brougham with 21,500 miles listed for $6200. Stunning car in my opinion but couldn't say if it will sell at that price. There do seem to be a fair amount of Europeans who like C bodies so it might sell there.

http://www.sportfurygt.com/71GoldBrougham.html

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The problem with eBay is that the auction had a reserve. I have been watching the Mercury: Other category for three years now and in that time extremely few cars, with reserve, sell. The percentage is very low and if a high starting price the percentage is zero.

Saw a 65 Monterey vert for sale that had a smashed grille, fenders and hood. The seller had a complete undamaged front clip to go with the car. Started at $2000, down to $1500 in 2 months, down to $1000 a month later and then scrapped for probably $500. Sign of the times. You know collectors tend to buy the car they wish they had when young. No one between 16-30 wanted a Marquis/Park Lane/Monterey. Now they are 61-75 and still don't. Those that owned them new are mostly dead now. At least Jack Lord is. I'm pretty sure the day will come when my Park Lane and Polara get scrapped 25+ years from now when I pass from the scene.

Look at this, a 1971 Sport Fury Brougham with 21,500 miles listed for $6200. Stunning car in my opinion but couldn't say if it will sell at that price. There do seem to be a fair amount of Europeans who like C bodies so it might sell there.

http://www.sportfurygt.com/71GoldBrougham.html
this one is puzzling to me:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649&item=180913651128&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

what's the demographic for a '65 Mercury full-size 4 door?

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
this one is puzzling to me:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649&item=180913651128&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

what's the demographic for a '65 Mercury full-size 4 door?
In that it sold? Starting at $200 and no reserve it was destined to be sold. You can do a search of completed listings and it is very informative. Not 1 big Mercury, years 1960-1970, that had a reserve sold. The few that did sell started low with no reserve and were either verts or a wagon. One vert, a black 65, went for $10,000 after starting at $200 no reserve. I believe that a reserve for a non-specialty car is always the kiss of death.

Medicare with a white or blue hair? Forgot they are also in their 90's now.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In that it sold? Starting at $200 and no reserve it was destined to be sold. You can do a search of completed listings and it is very informative. Not 1 big Mercury, years 1960-1970, that had a reserve sold. The few that did sell started low with no reserve and were either verts or a wagon. One vert, a black 65, went for $10,000 after starting at $200 no reserve. I believe that a reserve for a non-specialty car is always the kiss of death.

Medicare with a white or blue hair? Forgot they are also in their 90's now.
the bidding, at first, and the fact that it sold for so much. for around $2500 more they could have bought mine. both cars are in IL. i think having a buy it now price usually prevents folks from bidding if the buy it now is perceived as high. i've always started with a $200 bid but use a reserve. i'd rather keep a car vs running the risk of giving it away.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Some day soon we will be giving them away. I saw a guy who had a 70 Sport Fury vert for sale at 2,750 which was in ok condition as far as the body. Important if a C body car. He just gave it away for $600. My gut feeling tells me that desire for our big cars has started to rapidly fade in the last 12 months and will get much worse.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts