Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought you guys might enjoy this - my XR7 with my neighbour's Aussie XR6 Falcon.

The girl from Geelong falls for the exotic foreigner?

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And another one...

Attachments

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
A very good shot! I still prefer the old one though, over the new..

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Very cool; is that the factory color for the Falcon?

And am I seeing things; or is the '70 still LHD? I thought, from Leon's previous posts, that LHD was a no-no down there - did that change?

·
Registered
391 Posts
What great photos! A cool daily driver, and an even cooler collector car.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, that is a factory colour on the Falcon. The same neighbour has a Falcon XR6 ute (read: pickup) the same colour. It was at the mechanic, so I am planning on more photos soon.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would knock the XR6 especially the turbo. Whilst I love my cougars the XR6 turbo would eat them for breakfast. Definately outdrives any modern 4 door car ford sells in north america at the moment including the mustang.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am surprised nobody has commented on the dog in the driver's seat of the Cougar in the fist photo.

Look close...

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Same here... that's what cued me to look for the steering wheel and finally find it in the 'factory location'.

And I actually knew about the Ute.... the U.S. Ford "Ranchero" was for a time based on our Falcon chassis; before returning to the 'mid-size' Fairlane/Torino/LTD II base. Keeping it on the Falcon plan would have been a great idea here; although I know of a few people that actually pulled two-horse trailers behind the later, larger models.
I'd prefer to use at least a 1/2-ton pickup for that (and I do); and the idea of a light, smaller open-bed style vehicle to haul loads of <1/4 US ton is one that (IMHO) should someday return. Keep the RWD platform -steal it back from the Ford Mustang- and power it with, say a 'base' 4L V-6 for a good combination of "grunt" and fuel economy.

You guys in OZ have it figured out; I don't understand why Detroit hasn't.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts