Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After finally getting my cougar back on track(fried the battery cross-jumping it:rolleyes: ) everything looked good; but just noticed the ammeter guage smak dab in the middle- well maybe just a hair into the Neg. Tried tightening the belt to no avail- New battery, solenoid, Regulator. Amp guy said it was strong (100 amp).

Any Ideas
Ed

·
Registered
207 Posts
Mine is the same also. It just stays in the middle. Every once in a while it will budge a hair, just barely enough to notice. I haven't figured out if the gauge is non working or it is just not very sensitive.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Guess I'm missing something here, but I thought it was supposed to be in the middle.

Where should it be?

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Mine have always been in the middle unless there was a problem.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, my pick up always shows it more or less over in the positive side- isn't it supposed to be there to show that the alternator is positively chaqrging the system?

Ed

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
My Cougars are the only one's I've seen taht act this way. All my later Ford products showed charge or slight discharge, my father's 66 Mustang shows VERY slight variations, but the Cougars all stay centered until something goes wrong. It's almost like an analog idiot light! :)

·
Registered
614 Posts
Gawd, I guess I'm in trouble...then again, those stupid underdrive pulleys might have something to do with that. Come springtime, I think I'm gonna do that M.A.D. Enterprises 3-wire Chebby alternator swap. Complete with stock pulley, of course. :D

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
You have the same amp meter I have. The optional painted needle...lol..
The one in the 67 never moves...

Bruce

1 - 9 of 9 Posts