Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where does the factory dash mounted ammeter gauge receive its signal from? The alternator?,solenoid?--does anyone know the colors of the wires ? I have an inoperable gauge and I see a loose red wire with a round terminal dangling by the solenoid and leading back to the alternator.This loose wire is bundled or wrapped with other wires leading back to the alternator. I have no problems with starting or engine problems and thought this loose wire might be connected with my guage problem.

thanks for any info

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ON CLOSER EXAMINATION, THIS RED WIRE IS BUNDLED TOGETHER WITH WIRES LEADING TO ALTERNATOR AND ANOTHER SET RUN BACK TO THE FIREWALL ON DRIVERS SIDE. IS THERE A WAY TO TEST THIS WIRE AND SEE IF IT LINKS BACK TO THE AMP GAUGE. I JUST DON'T WANT TO HOOK IT BLINDLY TO THE STARTER SOLENOID OR BATTERY AND RUIN THE GAUGE. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

·
11,000 Posts
Low Fuel test circuit

The red wire with the ring terminal attaches to the start cable terminal on your starter solenoid. It provides a test circuit for the low fuel light when you turn the key to "start" and is not involved with ammeter operation.

The ammeter operation in 1967 - 73 Cougar XR-7's is poor because the meter is used to monitor a shunt circuit. The actual charging circuit is seperate and parallel. When the terminals and connectors get corroded the guage doesn't see enough current to move, even though the charging system is working fine. There is likely nothing wrong with anything on your charging system except corroded terminals throughout the wiring harness.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts