Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 1968 bulb chart says that the running lights are 97N.A, except that those are obsolete and there are no replacements. The running lights are single filament but don't use a chassis ground, so they have two contacts. I found a couple of dome lights that will fit the socket but they are clear. Does anyone make something to paint bulbs amber? Is there another solution that anyone has come up with? This seems like a pretty silly problem.
Tom

·
Registered
519 Posts
What bulb # did you find to fit?
Some yellow model pant (enamel) might do the trick to color them. Also cut to fit the marker lights housing with some clear amber mylar (arts and crafts store) as an alternative if you dont paint the bulbs.

Somewhere around here is a lengthy thread on this very subject but I couldn't find it ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Side Marker Bulbs

I searched around Southern California and on the internet until I found the perfect bulbs for the '68 Cougar side marker lamps. A company called Daniel Stern Lighting has the 97A bulbs painted correctly with amber paint. I know the 97"NA" stands for natural amber glass (clear amber glass) but according to several sources the bulbs should be 97"A" painted with amber paint.
They have a web site http://lighting.mbz.org/ and you can email to check if they have any more in stock. I had to buy a box of 10 at $3.19 each bulb ( $31.90 for the box) but they are exact replacements. I know a guy that has a couple of NOS side marker lamps and visited him just to make sure the bulbs are correct and they are.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will check to see if someone really has the 97NA but it seems doubtful unless they are old ones. I called all over town and even to the manufacturer (obsolete and no replacements). I finally found one warehouse that claimed to have a box of 12. When I drove over they did have such a box but they were mislabeled and were actually 97N. The 97N will not work because it is a chassis ground with only one contact.
They clear bulb I found is a 90 and is for a dome application. I have looked everywhere for amber paint or nail polish, and even in craft stores but haven't found anything close.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Tom

·
Registered
25 Posts
Lamp update

I called Daniel Stern Lighting and found out he still has the light bulbs for the side marker lights and even better they are less expensive. The actual bulb number is 1178A seems that Ford may have mismarked the manuals or the number may have changed over the years. The price I got from Daniel Stern was $2.68 each in a box of 10. I had not talked to Daniel for about a year and he said the funniest thing happened this week. He had a lot of calls for this bulb and I said it could be all Cougar owners I told about him. We are always in need of good quality parts.

·
Registered
519 Posts
When I contacted candlepowerinc.com they also gave me the same infomation regarding the 1178A. I don't recall the price but it was for a box of ten also.

Anybody want to go in on a box of 1178A?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts