Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never seen it discussed, but that thing works pretty well for a "quick wipe" here in Oregon. I dunno if you've heard, but it's rained about 45 of the last 48 days here..and it's not always a steady rain!

It's kind of a handy way to wipe the windsheild without fumbling through or around the steering wheel with my left hand. I'm wondering, though, how this is affecting my washer fluid pump when it's dry (which it is, I haven't tried filling the reservoir)

Anybody else do this on a regular basis?

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
I've always done that in my 67 & 68s. When I moved up to the 70, I missed that feature so have installed the factory intermittent system.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
vic yarbarry @ cougars unlimited came out with a plug in varible intermitent systems for 67/68---works great--and if you get hit with a heavy tire splash you can hit the footpeddle or overide the system with the dash control
doctordesoto

·
Registered
238 Posts
Use it all the time but an intermittent set up would be better. I don't see it on Vic's site...you have a link?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yep, use it that way all the time (now). When I first got my car, I didn't know that THAT was a WIPER switch!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
i don't know if vic has it on his link---i asked him to look into the intermitent switch and next thing i know there was one--give him a call or email him
doctordesoto

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So others are using the pedal as a switch..but is there any concern of it wearing out a pump that is empty of fluid??

Probably not, I am just curious about fluid dynamics I guess ;)

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Did it all the time with my first cougar, and still do it with the new one, but rarely... only use it on sunny days

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
What's rain? Haven't seen any of that in a long time...

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Back in the day, I would tell people the wipers on my first GTE worked by voice comand. I would say wipers on and push the pedal. Wipers Off and let up. Lots of people believed it. Especially the girls...lol.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Back in the day, I would tell people the wipers on my first GTE worked by voice command. I would say wipers on and push the pedal. Wipers Off and let up. Lots of people believed it. Especially the girls...lol.
I do that all the time with my kids! Love it...

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I have a programmable wiper system that works on all years. It's not listed on my site yet because I can only do so much testing on the bench and on my '69.
I have not found anyone to field test them yet.

If anyone is interested in a free programmable intermittent wiper system & can meet my very minimal requirements:
A running, on the road car
Willingness to document the installation
Willingness to post their experience on the web
Drop me a line.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I have a programmable wiper system that works on all years. It's not listed on my site yet because I can only do so much testing on the bench and on my '69.
I have not found anyone to field test them yet.

If anyone is interested in a free programmable intermittent wiper system & can meet my very minimal requirements:
A running, on the road car
Willingness to document the installation
Willingness to post their experience on the web
Drop me a line.
How involved is your system? I am the perfect candidate as I drive my 68 every day here in Oregon, where it's been raining almost every day, as Brian said. I kinda prefer to keep things original on my car but if it's a simple, non-invasive system then I may be interested.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Andrew - I will PM details

·
Registered
93 Posts
"Back in the day, I would tell people the wipers on my first GTE worked by voice comand. I would say wipers on and push the pedal. Wipers Off and let up. Lots of people believed it. Especially the girls...lol."

Don,
I did almost the same thing.....I used to snap my fingers, and yea, all the girls fell for it. Back in the day for me was 1971 and my first Cougar was a 68 GT, 428, XR7. I miss that car WAY more than any of the girls. I planted the Cougar into the side of a city bus when the driver made a u-turn right in front of me. Their insurance gave me $1000 and I kept the car and parted it out. I built the 428 and put it into a 66 Fairlane 2dr sedan with a toploader and 5.13 gears. Ran 11:50s @ 118.

Finished with the flashback, thanks!

Steve

·
Registered
393 Posts
Honestly, I had no idea that was the washer fluid pump when I first got mine untill about 5 months later. I was feeling lazy and got the oil changed at a Penzoil. They put washer fluid in the resevoir, next time I pushed the button to quick wipe the windsheild, out comes wiper fluid! WOW! What do ya know!!! If you barely push the pedal it will wipe once with no fluid. I dont think its messing with the pump. Since I don't drive it much that car is still suprising me 6 yrs later!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts