Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m rollin’ in style, the sun is shining on a new wax job, KZYKAT is running like a champion and I’m listing to Jim Rome, life is good……almost. I hear a little static in Jims voice, then more, and a little more, then something that smells like burnt feathers, ZAP! No more Jim, change the channel, no more radio. Sooo I call a local guy about fixing the factory radio, he says that the parts are very expensive and gives me the indication that it’s going to cost at least $75 for the shop call plus any parts it may need. And then goes on to say that Bendix (Manufacturer) is out of business and any parts that you may find are over $100.00 each, and that’s it’s not uncommon to put $250.00 into fixing one before your done. What do you think? Go the Custom Autosound option? Anyone tried that? And what about they’re fit and finish in the dash? Should I repair the one I have? I’m stumped, my car is a driver and will never be for show but altering the dash or anything associated is out of the question.

Your thoughts?
:1zhelp:

·
Registered
273 Posts
on with the search

I wish i had a stock radio in my cat ....heck i wish i had a radio period in my car... I say search for a better deal. Look for a used but working radio of the same brand and style. Try a different repair shop{the ones with the dust on the countertops and like 50 old stereos lying around}.......maybe from a guy named Al... On a serious note I agree with the stock look try and keep it not many people can.......Lance

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
When my factory am-fm died I installed a radio shack radio. It sounds good and has a cd input jack on the front. I plug a portable cd player into it on trips. No cutting required!!! I also put the bullet type connectors on the radio so it would plug into my harness, the only problem was the ground for the front speakers share a common ground so I had to split it up on the harness (Or hook it up like that but loose the stereo effect) I did purchase a am-fm from the bone yard I was going to install but decided to go with a more modern radio. it was out of a 71-71 lincoln.

Attachments

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
What year cat is the radio and is it AM/FM? AM/FM are very expensive so worth a fix I would think. AM radios should be available readily. I have 69/70 radios for sale and I also am thinking of parting with my old style cassette stereos(after market Sony Concorde Alpine) and replacing w/original AM 8 trac players so I can play my downloaded MP3s while cruisin my classic catz. The aftermarkets fit dash and are phono plugs style for extra amp if interested em me direct at [email protected] Thanks and Catzyalater

·
Registered
544 Posts
There is a guy in Pennsylvania who rebuilds these radios. He can do the rebuild with new solid state guts. If you are interested I'll try to dig out his information this weekend.

Steve

·
Registered
300 Posts
What's so difficult about these radios? I would think someone could split one open, maybe create a parts list, hit the local electronics supply (not radio shack) and be able to troubleshoot and repair them.

hm, guess I'll have to take the am out of my 67 and tear it apart. The tuner knob doesn't move anything anyway.

Robert~

1 - 7 of 7 Posts