Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
Question whats the best radiator and electric fans setup to use? I am gonna switch to a alumn radiator cause it desipates the hea faster and wanna switch over to a electric fans setup.Should i go w/ a 2 small fans setup or a 1 big giant fan? i know its gonna be a puller .Plus a alum. water pump. are they efficiant? The reason i ask this is because after the daytona show 2 weekends ago whem at a sitting idle i wanna keep the temperature cool .I do have a fan shroud and a 195 thermostat and a 3 core 20 inch radiator. Im not after the factory look , and will soon be tearing the car apart and possibly the top end of the engine off n replacing the heads w/ a set of 4v closed chambered heads.and a cam
thanks
pat

·
Registered
588 Posts
I love the dual 11" Spal fans I put on Donna's car but it is an expensive setup at $300. I went with the dual fans because the water pump wouldn't allow a single in the middle of the radiator.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The best fan you can get is a junkyard one off of a Taurus.
Blows way more then anything Flexalite or any of those other guys have for aftermarket.
You need to get the 3 wire fan off of a 92-96 Taurus with a 3.8L.
Same fan is in MarkVII's etc.
Here is a write up.
http://www.geocities.com/smithmonte/Auto/MarkVIII_Fan.htm

I wired mine up to a starter solenoid for golf carts rated at 100Amps because I was afraid of all the current it draws burning down my rig.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Has anyone seen tests or comparisons between radiators from alumrad.com above, Griffin Radiators and Be Cool ?

I would also like to have a safe margin of cooling capacity !

Ideally I would like to be able to tow a full size car up the hill at 110 degrees temperature and the A/C on without overheating.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Mark - with that big a solenoid you have increased the risk of a fire as it will not cut out if the fan motor fuses. A 40 amp relay and circuit breaker will handle a 480 watt motor. Most fans draw around 20 amps

·
Registered
103 Posts
The fan draws up to 100Amps on start-up and a constant of over 40Amps at 14.4V.
The write up warned against using a 40Amp relay because a couple of people have burned them up. :D

·
11,000 Posts
Martin,
That's a tall order. I think you can get the cooling system to do it but what are you going to do about a trailer hitch for that kind of weight?

A 24 inch 4 core with a stock clutch fan keeps two of my cars quite cool. The 448 CI engine in the green GTE has a Hayden 18 inch flex fan but will soon be changed to a stock fan clutch unit for more power to the rear wheels.

The blue GTE has the original 24 inch 3 core and is quite happy with it.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
The other problem most people do not realize with aluminum radiators and most of those radiator people who sell them wont tell you is that it is very imperative that you keep the proper amount of mix and use a special additive to the aluminum since aluminum will leach into the water at a very quick rate. also you must use de ionized water and high filtration to remove all metalss. aluminum can disapeer in a night with the right conditions so it takes more upkeep than the old heavy metal. Like Royce said for driving everyday conditions his 3 core works great. Pal of mine had a griffen aluminum ( not recomending or bashing just stating who makes it ) in his 58 vette. in one season it was toast so he bought another one by spring time when he started it up same thing happened. i asked what he was putting in it and he said filtered tap water and anti freeze so i did some research since i am a metal fabricator and found out why. Not trying to disuade you, just prepare you so you can upkeep the radiator properly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts