Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, Been asking a lot of questions but trying to sort stuff out in my head before I actually get started. I currently have a 390 2v, considering changing intake to make it a 4V. If I find a date correct cast intake would it be any better or worse than an aluminum intake. I realize the aluminum is much lighter but other than maybe 40 lbs could i get the same performance from the cast iron?

·
Registered
156 Posts
There are several aftermarket aluminum intakes with better performance in addition to lighter weight.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I seem to recall that the Edelbrock Performer aluminum intake is just an aluminum version of the stock 4V intake. I am not sure where the Performer RPM falls, but the other choices I believe are single plane intakes as opposed to the dual plane. It is my understanding the dual plane is a more streetable unit and the single plane makes more power at the top end.

·
Registered
175 Posts
You would most likely be best with a preformer or performer RPM unless you want a factory manifold. A factory PI aluminum or a cast iron CJ will be more expensive than a Edelbrock unless you get lucky. Personally I would not use a 390 GT "S" manifold unless you want it to look like a stock 390GT.
You can also go to fordfe.com and search great intake comparo. Mike

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I want to keep it looking stock? How much difference will I see between a stock 2v intake and carb verses a stock 4v intake and carb?

·
Registered
708 Posts
You can always grind off the Edelbrock raised letters and use a hammer and heavy grit sandpaper to simulate the grain of the cast aluminum in the area that was ground off. Paint it Ford blue and it should look fairly close to stock to the casual observer. Keep the original in case you ever want to make it concours correct.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts