Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Aluminum SB heads for my 351W, and invention idea

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Art 
#1 ·
Anyone have a nice used set of aluminum loaded heads (valves/guide plates/studs/roller rockers) laying around collecting dust? I'm playing around with my D0OE's, but just know I'm not going to be satisfied with the flow limitations. Please send pics and price. Not looking to pay anything near a grand for them... just good used heads. I have mild cam/valve setup that was slightly higher performance than the 69 4-barrel Windsor specs.

On the invention side, I've been toying around (in my mind) with an invention that would either be at the back of the tailpipes, or where the headers connect to the pipes before the mufflers.

The tailpipe device would have small high-vacuum fan blades with an oval shape at the top of the tailpipe to cup/capture air and pass it thru the fan blade tops, creating an exhaust pull.

The one at the header ends would be maybe two inches in width (like a bolt-on, pipe spacer) between the header ends and the muffler front pipes, and be hooked up electrically to the revs of the engine - operating like the blades in a jet engine.

Either one would should increase the air flow out the exhaust ports, huh? Any inventors out there?

Eric (ewojcieszak@yahoo.com)

See less See more
#2 ·
Also pistons needed for 351W - 9.5+ compr?

I'm also now looking to replace the uber-recessed pistons. The block is '79, so higher deck height than was was mated to my '70 4-barrel heads. Just went through 5 pages on eBay of pistons for 351W. I don't know the compression distance or exact recess spec on the current pistons. Would anyone know of a link that would calculate the piston specs I would need to arrive at 9.5-10 compression? Only the block is '79. Thanks, Eric.

#6 · (Edited)
Thinking the worst hp drain is those pistons.
I would suggest you go register and download Camquest6 from Comp Cams (http://www.camquest.com/). You can input all the known values of your particular setup and it will give you (from what many people say) a pretty good idea of the HP/Tq numbers you should expect. With that, there is a field to change the CR and see how much of a difference it makes. I think you'll be surprised it doesn't make that big of a difference (maybe 5-10hp per half point).

Would anyone know of a link that would calculate the piston specs I would need to arrive at 9.5-10 compression?
I used this link to verify compression ratio of the stroker kit I just bought. I am prety sure it is fairly accurate as it aligned exactly with the known compression ratios listed for my kit (the kit didn't have compression listed for my heads so I needed to recalculate the cc volume of mine).
http://www.race-cars.net/calculators/compression_calculator.html

My overall suggestion to you to solve your issues is along the same lines you are going, increase the compression ratio and go with new heads. One path to get you there might be to get a set of heads with small CC or to have whatever heads you get milled to reduce the CR to what you want.

Add: Also think about cams, as a new set of heads and a different compression ratio may not be ideal without a change in cams. Use Camquest6 to get you near to where you need to be and then calculate your dynamic compression ratio to figure out if you are in the "zone" you want to be in for running whatever type of pump gas you are considering. Since Camquest6 only allows you to see thier cams, if you have a specific one in mind let me know and I'll shoe you how to force it to take a non-Comp Cams one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.