Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've resigned myself to buying aluminum heads, given I hosed up my 70 Windsors trying to save some money and tap the stud holes myself.

Does anyone know if the 2.02 intake valve diameters will pose a problem with the valve reliefs in the speed pro/fed'l mogul H336CP30 pistons? Seems like just about all the aluminum heads have the 2.02/1.60 valves. Pistons link is here (no specs from fed'l mogul site): http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Speed-Pro-Ford-Flat-Top-Pistons-351-351W-30-Over-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem23104a1360QQitemZ150597145440QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

By the way, if anyone's interested in some beautiful original W valves, make me any reasonable offer. Also, if I can't get the eBayers to cut me a discount to use my Lunati barebones cam-matched spring kit, that'll be available as well ($150 new). I just installed them on my heads last night, and confirmed I couldn't line up the rockers to the valve tips with the hosed stud threads.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The answer depends on your CAM spec where lift is the major factor. I always test PVC with a little clay as a part of the engine build.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Why don't you just take the heads and have a machine shop mill those out for you? Cheaper than buying all new heads (although not as nice as aluminum heads!) Those are some pretty deep relief cuts on those pistons? (looks like it by the pic anyway). I doubt you would have any issues there. Is your block punched out .30 over though? Going to need it if you go that route.....

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
any good shop should be able to straighten out the holes and helicoil the threads---stronger than origional---i've even used them to move the studs to improve geometry
doctordesoto

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
any good shop should be able to straighten out the holes and helicoil the threads---stronger than original---I've even used them to move the studs to improve geometry
doctordesoto
Yeah, any good shop could, but at what cost? Just about any aftermarket head (even the cheap-assed Chinese ProForms) will out-perform the stock '70 351W castings... I realize that this list is a bit dated, but take a look at this site for flow figures of some of the more popular SBF head castings...

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have those pistons. They have very large valve relief. My heads only have 1.94 intakes but I think there would be plenty of room for a 2.02 valve. Obviously there are other factors but the only way to know is too purchase, mockup and measure.

·
Registered
780 Posts
A good engine build shop or machine shop should be able to give you some answers as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts