Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an intake at a sale,and was wondering what it fit.It is stamped c4sa9421 and hm9424-1.I know it's to early for a cougar but that's about it.Any answers oh great ford gods?

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Ford Gods

Jeremy Your intake I believe is for a 64 Thunderbird or a bigblock car.C4S stands for C=60 4=4 and S=Thunderbird so 64 thunderchicken.I'm sure you can tell if its 2 or 4 barrel.This S type manifold was used on GT engines but not with the oil filler neck at frt like yours probly has.Happy Fordin

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Ray,

I also was thinking along those lines, but I am a bit unsure and unwilling to give out potentially erroneous information...

Didn't Ford market Shelby parts using a 'S' for a parts code? I once (long ago) had a 715cfm Holley that had the long snout Shelby float bowls and it had both the Holley part number as well as a Ford 'Shelby' part number on it C7(something something)-9210-(something something)) Maybe I'm confusing the warehouse letter ('Z' for Ford and 'Y' for Mercury and (maybe) S or was it X for Shelby) I don't see too many of those parts these days... Not to mention that I killed off those brain cells with that knowlege many, many moons ago. ;) Hmmm, the more I think about it, the more I'm thinking the T-bird route as well. However,....

That 'HM' casting or stamping number makes me think along the lines of Holman-Moody. Over-the-counter Ford Muscle Part maybe? Gee, I have never been much of an older (60s) Ford parts scrounger. Also, I never got much into FEs or small blocks since I deal primarily with Clevelands and 429/460s.

I have a friend who has an extremely rare over-the-counter Ford Muscle Part intake, complete with the rectangular FoMoCo logo on it... Would you believe a Boss 429 dual quad aluminum intake manifold?

Sorry I can't be of more help.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Yes there was/is an "S" in some shelby parts #s however Shelby wasn't working with Ford yet in 64.The intake clearly indicates a C4S # which translates to 64 Thunderbird but also was used on some other engines.The "X" is for eXperimental and did appear on a few parts in the fourth position.ie C7ZX which is the prefix for Shelbies dual 4 intake of 67 for the GT500.A few letters translated are "W"= Cougar,"Z"=Mustang,"T"=truck,"P"=police,"O"=Fairlane and so forth These digits will appear in the third position indicating what the part was originally engineered for.Hope this helps THX Ray

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ray, I understand that "s" indicates t-bird, but the intake is for a small block.And they never came with one, right?Could it be a hi-po piece for a falcon or fairlane?Dunno.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Hmmm First I would like to point out that the # 9421 is not an intake # according to my books. and neither is the 9424 The # for small blk intakes is 9425 and prefixes range from C2OE to C8ZE all 9425 with suffixes ranging from A-M.9430 and 9431 are left and right exhaust manifolds.Can you email a picture to me? What are its dimensions?.Does it really fit a small block?Its too late tonight to call Ford but I have a friend there who can tell me what the 9421 # is for as we have determined what C4S indicates.I almost think you have the carb plenum or spacer there but ???Keep me updated.We'll get an answer yet THX Ray

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
OK I checked at Ford this morning and the Shelby of 65/6 intake # has been updated to C90Z 9424 D.I am beggining to concur with the previous info that suggests this intake may be an early Shelby aluminum intake,possibly with the HM indicating the Holman Moody group.All the Shelby info I looked at last night was inconclusive as was the visit to Ford.We were not able to decode the 9421# but the # for an intake is 9424.It is possible that it was a miscast on the 1 at the end.Many changes were made along the way at Shelby America so my thought on your part which is clearly an aluminum small block intake is that it may indeed be the original Shelby intake.Now also remember that the Shelby Corp was building the Sunbeams into 260 and 289 Tigers so may be even one for that car.The rear road draft tube on yours is not machined,indicative of 66 as 65 had the tube removed and a pcv in its place.The 66 intake was diff in that the pcv was not coming from the intake at back but from valve cover and into the rear of carb spacer like yours appears to be.Again making me think it may be the 65/6 shelby intake.I would think that if you were to use this intake on any small block it wouldn't be a problem as compatability is good.Sorry I can't give a definite answer on this one.:)

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Cobra covers

I did get this from Ford on the "S" part # and a shelby # looks like this;S2MS-6A582-A/B.This #s is for the Shelby Cobra valve covers left and Right.Sorry I couldn't be of more help.There must be a Shelby site on line that is more informed than I .Hope you find out and let me know THX Catz ya;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts