Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm setting up a T5 to a 9 inch with 3.73 gears and I wanted to know if you guys think it would be difficult to adapt an Ford Aerostar aluminum driveshaft. I heard a little about them, but I haven't been able to find out the U-joint part numbers (1330 maybe?)

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Take it to a GOOD drive shaft company, they have seen it all, well MOST ALL.

If you don't own one as of now, they probably have books with measurement info that will aid in their opinion. IMO

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They're only 20 bucks around here so if I take it to a driveline shop they should be able to better guide me about the yoke and u joint combo. Thanks

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've just gone thru all that. I have an aluminum driveshaft that is suposedly out of an Aerostar it is 55 inches long hole to hole. To long for a 8.8, I dont know about a 9 inch. I could check U-joint size if you like. You might look at the late 90's explorer 2 wh drive 4 door driveshaft it is 51 inches long and has the bigger U-joints.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
oh cool, I run across late 90's explorers all the time (where I get gt40 heads) I didn't know they had aluminum driveshafts too...I've been told that with the 9 inch you have to shorten the original driveshaft anyways. so I'm hoping to find something that will help lessen my expenses. I bought a 88' mustang with a T-5, I took the suspension and trans and plan on scrapping the rest, I also have a 9 inch from a 65 thunderbird, I'm still trying to find out how the driveline companies take measurements...I feel like a better driveline will great change my driving experience.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts