Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:1zhelp:
This has probably been discussed in the past, but I can't find (I haven't looked that hard) the archive...

Since '93, I've replaced/rebuilt my alternator three times and my voltage regulator twice, and I'm getting tired of it. I can't expend the time or money redoing the wiring (probably the source of most of the loss) so right now I'm just trying to get a good, modern, high-output, internally regulated, off-the-shelf alternator installed. I want to use something I could get at any Pep Boys/Autozone/etc, so I've been looking through Ford stock equipment parts lists... I found one for '93-'96 (I think) Lincoln/Mercury v6 applications, internally regulated, something like 200Amp output, with roughly the same external dimensions (close enough that the adjustment bracket can adapt the size). The only physical change required would be to swap the pulley (or convert my cat to 6-rib serpentine... :) ). Has anyone tried anything like this before? Does anyone else have this problem? Any other solutions that come to mind?

Thanks for all of your help!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bruter!

Bruter- Thanks for the website, it looks like they have some great products! I was hoping to find something a little more accessible at a moment's notice (if it breaks down on the road, I could go into Pep Boys and replace it), but that kind of output, with thermal coating, internally regulated... that's a no brainer! I'm going to call today about prices.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hey neat, when you got the prices, could you let me know? I'm planning on getting myself chrome parts on the engine as well and those alternators look really nice!!!

Thanks in advance,
Matthijs

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
greggieatthebat said:
:1zhelp:
This has probably been discussed in the past, but I can't find (I haven't looked that hard) the archive...

Since '93, I've replaced/rebuilt my alternator three times and my voltage regulator twice, and I'm getting tired of it. I can't expend the time or money redoing the wiring (probably the source of most of the loss) so right now I'm just trying to get a good, modern, high-output, internally regulated, off-the-shelf alternator installed. I want to use something I could get at any Pep Boys/Autozone/etc Does anyone else have this problem? Any other solutions that come to mind?

Thanks for all of your help!
I may get stoned to death, but how about an 85ish one wire GM alternator? A breeze to install, no remote regulator, easily (cheap) sourced.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts