Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think Im going to upgrade my alternator I would like to go with built in voltage regulator type and get more amps dont believe the 40amp will keep up with electric water pump and fan. Is there any late model cars that people use and if anyone has done this will I need some kinda of plug/kit to do away with the old voltage regulator.Thanks Ron

·
Registered
11,950 Posts

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Fan info so the 3g harness and grab oem alt from junk yard Is the case about the same size ya know?
CFM Push 2400-2700 8.5 Amps
CFM Pull 2200-2500 7.5 Amps

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tons of great stuff on that site and good reads..My problems have changed I made a few test runs over heating BAD.. pump flow looks good fan is working I took the stat out still the same 5-7 min driving 230-250 It never ran hot before 180 190 at most can the pump be wired wrong but even if the flow was going the wrong way it would cool it correct? lol .Raining today so wont find much out I can say Im happy with the starter and new optima battery even at 250 starts right back up.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the pump will run both ways and still runs hot both ways..I thought maybe my son put the head gaskets on wrong so I googled it came up with this post and If he right then mine are on the correct way below is the post.

The motor will run hot with the gaskets installed backwards due to restricted coolant flow.

But, you can tell if the gaskets are installed correctly without pulling the heads.There will be a small square corner of the head gasket sticking out just in front of the lower front head bolt if they are installed correctly.If installed wrong there won't be any little "tab" of the gasket sticking out.If you see the tab at the rear lower head bolt the gasket is installed wrong.All the small block Ford gaskets I have ever seen are like this.The rear lower bolt area has a radius on the gasket and the front has this square tab.Check out a gasket and you will see what I mean.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts