Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a heads up for everyone out there with charging issues. Unfortunately I did what I new not to do, changed parts hoping to solve my problem. My vehicle normally runs great and has no issues with charging in the past I stalled at a light and had no power to turn over the engine after the fact. Had to get a jump start and then five more jumps to get it home. I automatically defaulted to an alternator problem as the alternator looked very old and I also performed the alternator test of disconnecting the battery lead while the car is running, the car immediately stalled. Long story short I replaced the alternator, voltage regulator, tired battery, and then a second alternator. The problem was the alternator light on the dash was burnt out! Apparently if the alternator does not get a signal from this bulbs completed circuit the alternator will not charge the battery. So my advice, check this bulb first before changing parts.

Chris

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just a heads up for everyone out there with charging issues. Unfortunately I did what I new not to do, changed parts hoping to solve my problem. My vehicle normally runs great and has no issues with charging in the past I stalled at a light and had no power to turn over the engine after the fact. Had to get a jump start and then five more jumps to get it home. I automatically defaulted to an alternator problem as the alternator looked very old and I also performed the alternator test of disconnecting the battery lead while the car is running, the car immediately stalled. Long story short I replaced the alternator, voltage regulator, tired battery, and then a second alternator. The problem was the alternator light on the dash was burnt out! Apparently if the alternator does not get a signal from this bulbs completed circuit the alternator will not charge the battery. So my advice, check this bulb first before changing parts.

Chris
Everyone including myself goes for big problem first . But check the simple things first . with engine running , put a screwdriver across back center side of alt. If it gets drawn into back of alt . it is still good

1 - 2 of 2 Posts