Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a way to cut the alternator light off....any suggestions.....71 Cougar 351 Cleveland, thanks in advance

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Other than that, because I think something might be sucking the battery power but I have no idea what it might be

·
Registered
913 Posts
Is the light on while engine is running or on when off? If on while off, bad voltage regulator, if on while running, use a volt meter check across battery, should read 13.5 to 14 volts if charging, if not, 11.8 to 12.3 should tell you the alt. is probable bad. take it off and have your local parts store check it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The alternator I believe is working fine considering I just replaced it, but it's on while the car is running

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I would suspect the alternator. Inside are 6 diode. The AC current produced by the alternator is run through the diodes and it becomes DC current. If 1 or more of these diodes go out you'll still get some output but not as much current. During episodes of higher electrical demand the current cannpt go up, so the voltage goes down. which is triggering your light.

Have your alternator retested. Hopefully the shop testing it will spin it up and put a load on it. If it still passes take a close look at your battery cables and battery,
<!-- / message -->Can't speak to a 71 for sure, other than that I'd make sure your regulator is OK, then start under the dash to see if you may have another issue, or just remove the bulb if it annoys you

Good article here: http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/mump_1112_how_to_troubleshoot_your_charging_system/

·
I thought I changed this?
1,213 Posts
Even new things can be faulty.

Worth double checking it works before you go chasing your tail.
Also double check that all the connections are properly made, just in case you missed a wire somewhere, or the terminal clamps aren't properly tightened on the battery.

Wouldn't been the first time I forgot to tighten the battery clamps after the job!

double check there are no pinched cables anywhere in case there's a dead short, that would trigger an alt light IIRC

Also, do you have a newer style alternator with an inbuilt voltage regulator ?
If not, the regulator could be the problem

The alternator I believe is working fine considering I just replaced it, but it's on while the car is running

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome thanks for the info....ill be sure to recheck everything to make sure it is working properly

1 - 11 of 11 Posts