Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just need to verify what I think I need to do. I have a 1970 XR7 with a 65 amp alternator and Amp gauge. The harness going to the back of the alternator has a black (bat) and orange (FLD). No black w/ red (grd) wire can be found. Not sure where it is/went.

The wiring diagram shows this wire (blk/red) grounding at the voltage regulator. Can I run my own grounding wire and ground it to the screws where the regulator attaches to the fender well? (Or any grounding point for that matter?) Or is there somewhere specific the ground needs to go for the charging system to work correctly?

By the way, the system has not been charging properly.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
11,950 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A followup. I replaced the alternator and grounded it to the fender at the regulator. When I first started the car, my Sears battery charger (which has a function to check the alternator) showed 75% and 13.5 volts. I wondered why only 75% so shut car off reconnected charger and restarted and had 60% and 13.3 volts. The next time the car was started it showed 0% and told me to check the alternator.

Voltage regulator? Alternator did bench test good when I bought it. Wish I was better at understanding electricity!

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Forgot about that regulator test cardoc is talking about - see what ya got. I'm not sure how much faith to put in the battery charger/tester just yet? Try it out on your DD and see if you get consistant results...just as a sanity check.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts