Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up an alternator from the pick-a-part today from a 96 taurus and the brackets and wiring are pretty straight forward. I'm wondering though, do I have to change to a v-belt set up since the new Alt has a v-belt and the old one has a regular belt. How difficult is it to do?
I've searched a few other forums topics about this but there all so sketchy...thx in advance...

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Yes, you will need to put the Vbelt pulley on the alternator. You'll need an impact of some sort to get the old one off. Either air, or electric.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm still on the old regular belt set up, can you use the regular belt pully and put it on the newer alt?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More specifically....I mean

The old alternator, which is not working, is the 43 year old original 61 amp workhorse. It has two big grooves on the pulley for the old school rubber belts.

The new alternator, which is working, is from a Ford Taurus and has a v-belt pulley.

I would like to swap the pulley from the v-belt to the old school belt for now. Is this possible?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Old school is V-belt, so I think you might be mixing up your terms. Do you mean the new alternator is from a serpentine belt setup and you want to use the V-belt pulley from the old alternator? This should be possible, but not 100% sure. Take them pulleys off and see if they interchange, simple as that.

The newer type of belt is called a multi-groove or polygroove belt.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
I have successfully switched pulleys from original alternators to '90's era 3G alternators several times. As was mentioned by Woodsnake, you'll need an impact to remove them.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thx guys, I do have my terms mixed up, so the serpentine belt is the newer one...okay got it...

I saw another wiring diagram in another post, I'll use that to wire it up. Where does the green and red wire hook up to though, it leads to nothing on the diagram....it says hook it up to the ignition switch, but I thought that was on the solenoid. Do I remove it from the solenoid and run it directly to the alternator?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
green/red runs from ignition to alt connector....

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Use an impact wrench like the other guys said to remove the nuts holding the pulleys to the alternators. Hold the alternator fan with a a rag and leather glove on your hand. They should come off easily. I did this swap using an alternator from a 92 Mustang and a Ron Morris Performance adapter harness.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
i think you must grind some of the fins on the late model alt or machine about .070 off the lip of the stock pully to clear the housing---and i can't remember who made the harness and phony regulator package--it has some sort of resister that makes the light work on the dash
doctordesoto

1 - 10 of 10 Posts