Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My alternator was making a god awefull noise, and was not putting out enough voltage to keep up when idleing. Battery kept dying, and had the alternator tested and it was only putting out 8 volts.

I did this to my torino, and it was super easy, and SO worth it. Cranks out more amps at idle than the stock would at full throttle. The old ones (1G), the faster they spin the more amps they put out. The 3G will put out 130 amps at low speeds, its sleeker and doesnt have the cooling fan.

This conversion cost me around 50.00. I used a junkyard alternator from a '94 mustang. So make a trip to your junk yard and look for these alternators. Most have a serpentine pully, which is fine. Get one with a 180 degree mounting holes, I took my stock one in a and used it to compare cases. There is tons of info on the net on this. Just google "3g mustang conversion"

I found one that spun nice and looked clean, and didnt make noise. I got a 2 of them for 50 bucks, one would cost about 25-30 bucks used at the yard.

I then just went up to O'Reilly, they sell the 3G plug (harness) for 10 bucks. I also picked up some thick 1 gauge red battery cable and new copper terminals.

After that its just a matter of soldering up the wires and bolting it in. On my 351c it went right in. I used an impact to remove the stock pulley and spacer. Took off the serpentine pulley and put the V pulley on the new 3g unit.

This diagram worked like a charm.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Good write up - one thing to keep in mind is that the older wiring for most compnents are still limited to the wire size used - so more doesn't always = better. Example - you don't want to install a 80 amp stereo system without running appropriate wires that could handle the load. (fused correctly of course) Be mindful of this fact, and you will not have any problems

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
the stock v belt pulley will probably hit the case--just the outter lip--trim on alathe or a steady hand on a belt sander
I used my stock alternator V pulley and ring (spacer) that is below it, and it aligned perfectly. Without the ring it does hit. HOWEVER, in the pics you can see the nut holding it on has some free thread left showing. The nut is tight as I used an impact on it, but it might be worth knowing with this alternator and stock V-pulley and spacer, depending on shaft length you might want to take this in consideration.

Bad69Cat: This is very true

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, Sorry about the double post! hopefully the admin can delete the other one. I though my session timed out and the post would never make it so I made another one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts