Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought this 70 Eliminator, there was two harness for the alt., one had two connectors, the other had three, which one do I need to use? Thanks

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bob, you got to know the answer, after all, you are an electrical engineer.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
LOL Carlton, well, let me go look at an old 70 HT harness I have and will post with what I find.

When you say 2 or three connectors, you mean the connectors that actually go on the alternator, or are you including the regulator plug with the count?

Regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Carlton,

Here is my take.

I think by number of "connectors" you mean the number of terminals that go to the studs on the back of the alternator? On the '70 standard (alternator light, no gauge) alternator harness I have there are three terminals, the third I would think is for the Stator connection and this is what makes the alternator light work. I do not have a '70 alternator harness for a car with gauges, like XR7 or Eliminator, but on my '69 XR7, there are only two connections because there is no alternator light and charging is indicated by an ammeter whose signal is developed across a shunt in the charging circuit.

So, since you have an ammeter (I have that right, don't I? Eliminators have XR7 style gauges?), I would say you would want to use the alternator harness with two terminals on the alternator connector.

How's that?

Regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
I have just listed that new to market, concours alternator wiring harness, for the 1970 XR7 and Eliminator, pictures coming soon. Have a whole gang of them listed.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Kinda anti-climatic at this point, but if any additional confirmation is needed, I just checked my '70 (428) Eliminator, and it has two terminal connections, in a molded fitting, on the back of the alternator.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Guys, as always, you came through. I hope I can be of help to you on some things. CW

1 - 8 of 8 Posts