Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up AlphaCat from my buddy's place a couple of weekends ago, but I haven't touched it since. It has been tooo freaking cold out to do anything since then.

Terry did a fantastic job of welding in the needed patches and repair panels. The rear fender aprons, floor panels, trunk drop-offs, driver's side front frame rail, front strut rod crossmember and trunk floor all recieved attention. The last thing (try locating one!) was the trunk weatherstrip channel across the back edge of the trunk opening. He's getting so good at MIGging, he hardly has to 'clean-up' grind afterwards! He even gave all of his work a coat of epoxy primer when he was all done. Whatta guy!

He also installed a set of homemade subframe connectors out of 2" .120 wall square tubing. He semi-inletted them into the rear floorpans so they don't hang down much. In fact you can hardly tell they're there if you look at the car from the side. This will be a good chassis fundation if I find I like racing again and I decide to go nuts and install a ladderbar/coilover rear suspension. I'll be borrowing a good digital camera to take some pics of Terry's handiwork soon.

Tires and wheels were obtained during the Holidays. I couldn't afford the going rate for a set of vintage 15x7 aluminum slot wheels, so I found a set of like new 16x7 98 Crown Vic handling package wheels. Those are the deep dish lacy spoke aluminum wheels. They even had a set of usable matching tires on them. If I can only figure out some way to change out the Ford oval center cap insert to a Cougar center.... Hmmmm. I think I have a set of the stock 73 XR-7 hubcaps around here somewhere! I wonder if I can take the center from those and....

The new engine parts are all here so now I can dis-assemble my freshly rebuilt (18 years but only 100 miles since rebuild) 351C-4V and upgrade with a bunch of goodies. I found a better cam (.536/.562 224/234 @ .050), bigger one piece stainless valves (2.19/1.71 instead of the 2.04/1.65), Fluidampr harmonic balancer, converting to adjustable valvetrain w/roller rockers, new aluminum water pump... This engine is gonna rock!

Trans is getting freshened up with heavy duty clutches, tightening up the tolerances, improving oil control, etc. I have a choice of either a 3500 or 4000rpm stall converter. I have both laying around and it is just a matter of choosing. Decisions, decisions.....

Rear end is getting a new Detroit Locker and 3.91 gears. Again, the gears are parts I have just laying around. I'm still trying to decide whether to stick with the stock 28 spline axles or get a set of aftermarket 31s.

Oh, and since I'm sure I have forgotten which parts go where or where the parts are anymore since it has been 18 years in the restoration process, I am picking up another 73 XR-7 this weekend to use as an assembly guide and/or parts car. This purchase with the other half's blessing!

Things are looking up!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Sounds like it's going to be something when it's done. Hey, you mention using Crown Vic rims, they fit w/o spacers or other mods? Would they fit a 68 as well? The 15's would probably be fine for me and I know where I could get a set off a 93 for a song, if not free.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Yeah it figures, I was just thinking of you today CJ! I was looking through the local bargin finder and seen a set of 15x7 aluminum slots with center caps and lugs for $100! They were even 4.5" bolt pattern. mm

·
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MM, Grab them wheels!

Grab them wheels!!!

Even if I don't grab them from you, these things are going for over 100 each on eBay these days. They have to be direct bolt(not unilug) and they will command big bucks! Even the local scrap wheel dealer that goes to swap meets and flea markets with an old beer truck full of aluminum wheels gets over $60/wheel for non-matching sets!

·
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kirk,

The Crown Vic still uses the same 4-1/2 inch bolt pattern as our Cats. I have the rears on the Cougar now and they fit just fine. I would imagine the fronts would clear the front discs without any problems either. I'll measure the backspacing today when I go out to take the pics of the car's progress thusfar (also will post pic of the wheels in the photo gallery).

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hey, thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

·
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New Pics Posted

I have new pics posted in the photo gallery of Terry's latest handiwork, my mouse infestation, and the new wheels. Just click the link in my signature line that says 'My Gallery'

Take a look at the new subframe connectors! Boy, do they look good! I thought I'd take the pics now before I painted everything. This way the different parts show to good advantage.

If I had this to do all over again, I'd get the newly released 71-73 full floor sections. They weren't available back when I welded in the two front and passenger side rear floor sections in 18 years ago... They would have made the underside look a lot neater than the patchwork that it is now. Oh well.

·
Registered
614 Posts
It's pretty funny that the mouse fell out when you were moving the car...Kinda like "I wonder what creature made those holes...?....THUMP...oh, that kind!"

I laughed, anyway. At least he paid the ultimate price for his sins.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Does your buddy wanna do another.....

Hey Cj your buddy did an awesome job i was wondering if he would be interested in doing mine......Floors, and rear fender aprons???? Thanks for any replies..u can email me at [email protected]

Matt

·
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Zero,

Oh, I knew that it was a mouse or mice causing the damage. There were enough seed husks and mousie turds everywhere that made his presence known. It was just a matter of time before he met his end.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
You guys wont belive the mouse nest I found when I removed the rear int trim panel from the Mustang as I was stripping it down the other day! mm

Attachments

·
Registered
885 Posts
Modified,

I suppose he/she/they are long gone, but it appears he/she/they made themselves quite comfortable while hiding there. I wonder how long it takes to build a nest like that?

Steve C.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Well the car was in one place in the barn for like 12 years. There was more then this in it though! mm

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Mice

Found a couple dead mice myself when cleaning out the 280Z to get it ready for trade.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I hate MICES to PEICES

I found a condominium up above the glove box that took almost that whole side.They chewed the headliner.they didnt get the wires only the insulation around the wires.At least they dont like the leather seats they were untouched.When it gets hot it still smell like a rodent.Someday new carpet should take care of that

1 - 16 of 16 Posts