Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've gotten almost all of the things done on AlphaCat that I can get done around here. It is finally ready to get back on its feet. By that I mean at least now the front and rear suspensions are back on and it is a roller again. Well, it will be as soon as I can scare up some tires and wheels!

Now it is ready and able to take a short ride on the trailer over to my buddy Terry's house. He claims that he'll have the rear fender aprons, the front aprons, core support, front crossmember, driver's rear floor and the trunk drop offs all replaced or patched up to as good as new in just two weeks. Terry is an animal once he gets started. It helps that I have most of the parts he will need! We're going to work on it over there because it is more convenient for him, and since he's doing the work... LOL! He has the plasma cutter, the MIG welder, and all of the other stuff he's gonna need. I just have to wait until this next weekend -- the end of the racing season up here -- and then he'll be free to work on the car during the off-season. I'll have to store a bunch of their cars over here to make room for working on AlphaCat over there.

After the sheet metal work is done, then we'll have to replace the brake lines since Ford, (in their infinite wisdom :rolleyes: ), ran the brake line from the front to the back down the length of the driveshaft tunnel. That's a no-no to every racing sanctioning body. Of course, that is just a minor thing, but still... they all add up! Not to mention that we can pattern some of their 'improvements' from their Mustangs to my Cougar.

Engine update

Even though the engine has less than a hundred miles on it since a total rebuild, I'm going to have to take the engine back apart because over the years it has been 'pickled' the %$#@^$*^ mice in the garage ate through the duct tape I had sealing off the intake manifold and filled the intake passages full of seeds. Naturally, a couple of the valves were open so.... That means I have to at least pull the heads to de-seed the cylinders. :mad: Well, I guess that gives me an opportunity to check out the old Crane Fireball camshaft to see how it looks. I hope it is still OK, since I really don't want to spent the $$$ to replace it if I don't have to. When I popped off the valve covers, there was still a coating of nice clean oil covering everything under there so maybe, just maybe, there is no rust inside of the engine proper.

Now I can install a couple of the upgrades I have wanted to do for a while. I got a kit from Crane Cams that turns the old positive stop rocker arm heads into an adjustable valvetrain with guide plates with no machining. This will allow me to run the roller rocker arms. Geeze, I thought the aluminum roller rockers were supposed to be lighter than the stock stamped steel rockers. They look massive on there. (I dummied them up just to see what they'll look like). I have it bad!

Another annoying little thing I can fix at this time will be the pinhole leak in the oil pan. I was thinking about replacing the pan, but any pan with baffles (the stock CJs had a baffled pan, others don't) is gonna run well over a hundred bucks. Look in the aftermarket catalogs -- go ahead, just look! The most expensive stock-capacity oil pan is the Ford Cleveland. Naturally! Anyway, a strike or two with the MIG welder and that hole will be fixed for good!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Pics pics! :-D

Sounds badass.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You want pics?

A few pics have been posted in My Gallery

1 - 3 of 3 Posts