Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a complete Newb to car restoration. I've come to agreement to buy a 1969 Cougar XR-7. Numbers indicate it was a Factory 351W - 4V (is that uncommon combo?) I believe that most where 351w 2v right?

Body Panels really straight
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/Liteforcehunter/Cougar/DSC04203.jpg

What looks like paint peel is actually frost on the car. Paint is in good shape.

Now the Bad:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/Liteforcehunter/Cougar/DSC04212.jpg

The roof has a few spots where rust has gone through the roof and started leaking. The Owner put rtv on the spots to seal it. My Question is could this roof be saved or am I looking at removing and replacing the roof? I know it is hard to be certain from the pic but based on experience what are the chances of saving the roof. I'm mechanically inclined (I work on wide body jumbo jets). And I have a Mig welder... What do you guys think. also We have agreed to $2800 on this car. Engine has low miles on a rebuild and FMX tranny is solid. Do you think I'm paying too much for this car?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I don't have to even look to tell you that you probably need to replace the roof skin (vinyl top car, correct?). Search for member Blitz here, he just did this job and did a video too, you may find it more easily at cougapartscatalog.com (West Coast Classic Cougar).

Welcome to the forum.

Regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
There were 6,314 1969 XR-7 M-code automatic hardtops built. The M-code makes it a more desireable car than an H-code (351-2V), but it's only slightly more valuable. Based strictly on the pictures and not knowing what options the car may have, I think $2800 for that car is a better deal for the seller than for the buyer. It looks like there's a significant amount of work needed in the grille area and that's a one-year-only grille. Those parts can be very expensive. Add that to the roof and you're looking at a significant amount of work and cost. You could probably buy a much nicer car for twice that amount and be dollars and time ahead of the game.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
At first I thought whoa - no way it's worth more than 1k.....but, after a closer look (and based on location) the wheel moldings looks really nice>?! There's $700 right there if so - not to mentnion the rocker ones. Aside from the obvious missing stuff - and the surface rust in the headliner area - I don't see any heavy rot on these pics - but like Bob points out - a vinyl top = not good more often than not. It may be worth 1500+ if the thing is fairly solid IMO....especially if it's a true left coast car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a box with a ton of trim for the car, that looks to be in good shape. As for the grill all the parts are there but some of it is broken/cracked can it be restored or do I need to find new grill?

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
As for the grill all the parts are there but some of it is broken/cracked can it be restored or do I need to find new grill?
Without knowing what's broken or how badly, it's tough to give an answer to that question. But, generally speaking, I'd expect to have to replace anything that's broken. Most everything can be restored with sufficient time and patience, or money. The outer front grille pieces can be rechromed and repainted, while many of the functional pieces behind them can be repainted. But repairing is another matter for some of the pieces, although those may not be that expensive to replace.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My goals with this car is to bring it back to a straight decent looking car on the surface. I'm not looking for a perfect show car, more like a straight daily driver.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another thing that struck me was in the trunk there are 4 small "Knockoffs" that bolt to the center caps on the wheel... funny thing is they have a cougar head emblem in the center, doubt the factory made those rims... I will get a picture of the knockoff and post soon.

Here is the entire album of pics of the car...Please feel free to comment either the good or the bad... I'm just learning all this stuff

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v253/Liteforcehunter/Cougar/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts