Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday the sun was shining, the temp was a balmy 40 degrees, and I just had to get the old gal out for a short drive. I bought this 69 XR7 at a Mecum auction this past spring. I thought the odometer had rolled over to 19,400, but the title says actual miles! Based on the condition of the pans, body, etc., I believe it. Please don't trash her (or me) for making her into an Eliminator clone. You can see from my signature line that I don't mind owning a "replica" or two (my other fun car is a Factory Five 65 AC Cobra replica).

She hasn't been washed or polished up yet, but the paint still looks pretty good. I put a black Eliminator stripe kit on it. Very subtle, can't see it unless you look hard - that's the way I wanted it. The original style wheels and new tires rubbed the front corner of the left fender, so I cut a little off and repositioned the wheel well trim. Can you tell?

I completely rebuilt the grille and painted it satin black.

New reflector around the emblem cost a small fortune, but worth it. A new voltage regulator and fully charged battery got the sequential turn lights working good.

All new hoses, filters, fluids, many adjustments and new parts, and a few decals made the engine compartment look almost like it did in 69. She starts first time and runs great.

In order to save the door panels, I had to drill and screw them onto the door. Not original, but still looks ok in my book.

I changed the entire interior from white to black except the seats. After cleaning up the original white seats, they just looked too dam good to change. I kind of like the contrast of white seats with a black interior.

Trunk still had one of the original build tags hanging on the tension rods, so I left it there. All new liner and gas strut to hold it open after adding the heavy spoiler.

A couple of buddies and I are planning on driving a few legs of the Hot Rod Power Tour this spring. I think the old gal is just about ready!

Anothe HUGE THANKS to all who offered insight and suggestion over the past few months. I couldn't have done it without you guys (and WCC, MU, Auto Zone and a semi-understanding wife!)

Jeff

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Your wife understands semi's..? ;>) teehee

Nice looking cat Jeff - very clean in and out. + A/C - wish I had that!

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
Good looking car and awesome low milage. I changed my 69 to 70 seats and door panels and ended up with white seats and black panels as well. I bought dye to do the doors but I like mine also. Just dont think the white would ever cover that black and I have gotten used to it. I added a Shelby roll bar and the panels that come with it are black as well. I am going to upholster those with a thin padding and need to decide on color then. You can see the pics in my gallery.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Great looking car! Seem's we have alot common. I also own a 1967 Shell Valley Cobra replica and recently purchased an Eliminator Clone. Can you give any info on the trunk strut support?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Great looking car! Seem's we have alot common. I also own a 1967 Shell Valley Cobra replica and recently purchased an Eliminator Clone. Can you give any info on the trunk strut support?

Bought it at Auto Zone. Tried a couple different lengths and strengths before deciding a 75 lb. strut was the right one to handle the added weight of the spoiler and still allow the trunk to close with minimal effort. Length will depend on your chosen mounting location. I got the idea from someone else on this forum. If you do a search, you can probably get some more useful info.

Jeff

PS - I unsuccessfully tried to adjust the trunk lid's horizontal tension bars. After launching them around the trunk and almost killing myself in the process, I finally got them back on and opted for the gas strut. Live and learn.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Even withthe tension rods mine won't stay up on it's own very well. I like that set up better anyway. It's amazing how heavy the deck lid is with a spoiler

1 - 7 of 7 Posts