Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was driving to work yesterday and the steering felt very loose (moreso than the normal loose). I looked underneath and the rag joint was missing two bolts and one more was about to fall out. I guess when I had all those vibration issues it loosened up. I spent the rest of the day ensuring bolts were torqued properly. I was amazed at how much tighter the steering was after all this. It got even tighter this morning when I blew a power steering hose :rolleyes:

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
It get's even more interesting when the hose decides to shoot the fluid onto the headers... Instant smoke screen!!

Kirk, glad you were able to fix the steering problem in time.

Mark

·
Contributing Member
246 Posts
kirkm76;
I have some parts for you, I need to know where to send them. Send me an email.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Word Up (I know that's old, but heard someone else use it today) on the powersterring explosions.

A few summers ago mine hose blew in Fresno as I was pulling in to a gas station, something under the hood caught on fire and people were running and screaming "Get out of the car it's gonna blow!"

Once the fire went away...opened the hood and all the wires were fried and lots of smoke damage.

Two months later the same thing happened, this time while my sister was driving it...and again another fire.

Five months later one more time, this time for my mom...one more fire.

Then the car went a couple years before it blew again, no fire this time but much frustration. Turns out that the power steering ram was bad and was putting too much pressure on the hoses, that's why they were exploding. Got it fixed and now the powersterring works wonderfully.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts