Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys need your help. I have the full Laurel Mountain Mustang hi performance Cougar suspension kit. After installing the new idler arm and pitman arm my car doesn't turn all the way to the right like it used to. I'm assuming it's the idler arm...What did I do wrong and how do I correct it?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Start driving oval tracks?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had my mechanic do the install. Hmmm....You think when he disconnected the pitman arm he turned the steering wheel to the right a turn, causing me to lose some of my turning radius? I thought you could replace the pitman arm without having to touch the steering gearbox other than to pull the pitman arm down?

·
Registered
913 Posts
With your wheels straight, turn all the way left and count turns, then turn right and count turns. Should be the same, if not then the pitman arm might be off , although I though the pitman arm had a wide spline on it for alignment.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With your wheels straight, turn all the way left and count turns, then turn right and count turns. Should be the same, if not then the pitman arm might be off , although I though the pitman arm had a wide spline on it for alignment.
I don't even need to do that and can tell you that I have at least 1 more full turn to the left than I do to the right.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
I had my mechanic do the install. Hmmm....You think when he disconnected the pitman arm he turned the steering wheel to the right a turn, causing me to lose some of my turning radius? I thought you could replace the pitman arm without having to touch the steering gearbox other than to pull the pitman arm down?

That was my first thought. The steering box wasn't centered before the pitman arm went on.

·
Registered
565 Posts
There is a notch that should help line up the pitman arm correctly if not make it difficult/imposible to install wrong. Is there an chance it is the wrong idler? I think there is a difference between the manual and power steering idler arms. See pitman arm notch here:

http://www.cougarpartscatalog.com/1000325.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts