Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New heater core, new water hoses, new fan, new resistor, new wiring, new heater box gaskets, new plenum, new defrost hoses.

The fan goes through the three speeds fine, the flapper doors work right and are adjusted. I had to actually read the reprinted owners manual to make sense of the controls. It's easier to use a new ipod than those 68 heater controls...
Anyway, the little bit of blowing air I can feel just stays an "ambient" temperature like a fresh air vent. As far as the hoses under the hood, the two heater hoses I can hold on to, and are quite nice and warm on a cold day, but the top radiator hose is scalding hot. Ideas?

I've also just now found that the defroster vents almost completely don't line up with the holes in the dash pad- like the pad needs to go another inch toward the windshield. Anybody have a similar problem and solved it?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Could it be that the source of airflow is no longer there? Since you welded the fresh air vent up. Doesnt the incoming air in the box come from the cowl area, or is there another source as well. Can you reach in the box somehow and see if the heater core is hot?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It still pulls air from the other hole- the original fresh air vent over my feet. It's like a custom "recirculate". You can't get to the heater core with hands. If I could, I would have been the coolest kid by the vending machines at Sparkles, if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Those heater hoses should not be to easy to hold onto..? How's the pressure on the upper rad hose? I am should be pretty firm. Stat reversed?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
i think you answered your own question---you don't have flow in your hoses---i can't remember what engine you have but whatever it is , i'd double check where the hoses go into the engine on an origional engine---on early a/c cars , the two heater hookups are horizontal and dont make too much dif if reversed--if the inlets are verticle , the hot needs to go into the bottom connection--the hot source s/b on the manifold or prior to the thermostat---the return must be on the suction side of the pump to get flow
doctordesoto

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Those heater hoses should not be to easy to hold onto..? How's the pressure on the upper rad hose? I am should be pretty firm. Stat reversed?
So much for my new TAB auto correcting everything! Makes me sound like one of those reply ads from Nigeria where somebody dies and they need to give me the money!! LOL friggin thing...it scrolls off the screen before I see the corrections it made

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol.

I have a non-ac car, and the heater core inlets are vertical. So, it does matter which goes where, then? Considering my mechanical mojo, they're probably completely backwards. I did a quick search when I installed them to see if it mattered but didn't come across any definitive answer.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
flow should go from the intake manifold(before the thermostat/ upper rad hose )to the lower of the two fittings---the upper s/b connected to the suction side of the waterpump---there might be a couple of pipe plug in the w/p so i would look @ a stock hose setup to be sure---i don't have a sbf to look @ here
doctordesoto

1 - 8 of 8 Posts