Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i got the drive train all done and its alllll ready for the road. i just placed a fat order at WCC for tons of interior parts and also have a new sound system on the way thanks to my awesome tax return.
so along with making it comfortable to drive i also want to make it comfortable to look at lol. i will be painting my "wood grain" dash the color of the car when the rest of the car is ready for paint. and i will aslo be switching out all of the gauges for a more modern look. probably some nice new white gauges that can change the color of the light (just for funsies since the new DIN stereo i bought for it will change the display colors too).
can anyone give me some advice or what kind of gauges i should get? or point me towards a thread already with this answer?
i know absolutely nothing about gauges though i do have a stepdad who does. but hes a mustang guy and its probably all the same. but are there different types of gauges that a cougar would need specifically? specs? and what are the exact sizes of a 67 xr7's wood grain dash gauges?
i can probably find all this out on my own but just thought i would get a little advice from people that have already done this.
any help?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hmmmm.... black gauges with white numbers that can change color might look better?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I did this with my 68 XR7 dash. They turn to black with white lettering @ night.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,552 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
What is the best diameter to use for the instrument panel? Is it a five inch hole? Or the 3 3/8's?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have 5" and 2" in mine. The hole is actually smaller than 5" for the larger gauges but the hole size was almost an exact match for the face diameter of the Autometers

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks a lot guys for all the recommondations. i think white gauges will look best with a painted dash. it "pops" better i guess i would say. havent checked on this thread in a while because i didnt get any replies in the first few days and didnt remember until now. 1bad68cats gauges. i think they will look awesome with my dash painted. going to be a dark green almost black at night. and the dash will match so the white on the dark green will look awesome!

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
My opinion of course.... but after assembling my white faced gauges back into my original woodgrained housing, I didn't like the look. It was a conflict of styles. So I instead stripped the woodgrain and went with the painted look and I think it works MUCH better.

http://www.mercurycougar.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2156/title/gauge-cluster/cat/all
I agree with Local Hero. The picture I posted was during the mock-up stage. I plan on looking at carbon fiber overlay, but have not decided yet. I may just paint it black or gun metal. I just need to find the time.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My opinion of course.... but after assembling my white faced gauges back into my original woodgrained housing, I didn't like the look. It was a conflict of styles. So I instead stripped the woodgrain and went with the painted look and I think it works MUCH better.

http://www.mercurycougar.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2156/title/gauge-cluster/cat/all
wow that looks good. what did you do to strip it? i havent gotten into body work or much paint and stuff yet. this is my first project car im doing with my step dad. im sure he has some ideas on what to do. but what did you do? do you just sand it down and primer and sand and paint? im sure its a little more complicated but thats just kinda what i have in my head simplified. but whats the propper way to paint a cougar dash? its looks sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
wow that looks good. what did you do to strip it? i havent gotten into body work or much paint and stuff yet. this is my first project car im doing with my step dad. im sure he has some ideas on what to do. but what did you do? do you just sand it down and primer and sand and paint? im sure its a little more complicated but thats just kinda what i have in my head simplified. but whats the propper way to paint a cougar dash? its looks sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks!

This'll save a TON of typing:

http://thecurb.us/Webazine/Pits/Dash/HerosDash.pdf

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
1 - 16 of 16 Posts