Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If your car is properly aligned shouldn't the steering wheel be straight (at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock) when driving straight ahead? My 3 spoke steering wheel is at about 2 o'clock and 8 o'clock if you know what I mean, when going straight ahead.

·
Registered
751 Posts
If the alignment of the tires is fine, check the power steering. My green truck (see gallery) is about 10 & 4 with some play in steering when going straight. 2 & 8 could be where the play in the power steering ends and it catches. Does it dift to the right at 3 &9?

·
Registered
885 Posts
The quick answer is "yes" it should be. The steering wheel spoke position is often an indication of incorrect alignment. An alignment shop can center the wheel for you as part of an alignment service. Or, you could do it yourself provided the alignment is ok (impractical to determine without an alignment rack). Normally, this is done by adjusting the tierods on either side an equal amount in the same direction. Adjusting an unequal amount on either side, will affect the toe.

Is it possible your steering wheel could have been put back on crooked, if it was ever off? Note that removing the steering wheel in order to center it, isn't the way to go, unless you're correcting someone's past mistake. Besides not pulling or drifting to either side, your steering wheel should be on straight, and you should have an equal amount of lock to the left and to the right.

If I were you, I'd take the car to a reputable alignment shop, and have everything checked at the same time.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guess what?
I did replace the steering wheel a few months ago with one in much better condition.

Could it be that I didn't put it on correctly?
I didn't think you could put it on wrong.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Cougar Kitty said:
Guess what?

Could it be that I didn't put it on correctly?
I didn't think you could put it on wrong.
There is a scribed line in the end of the steering wheel shaft that should point to the top-center of the wheel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts