Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a few years since I had the cat running, and want to use the Fluidampr balancer off my 351C. Summit has it listed as matching both the W and C. I'm just unsure if the pulleys are supposed to line up perfectly with the alternator on the first/closest ring. I might have torqued the crank too tightly and am going to use the puller to pull it out some and see if all align as should.

I have no idea if the pulleys the engine guy used were universally for the 351W and 289/302 or not. The crank pulley is a two-ring, with the water pump pulley just one. Figure the first ring for both should relate to the alternator, with the second (if I had second ring on water pump pulley) being for the a/c and/or p/s? Wanna be sure. Thanks in advance, Eric.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Eric,

The balancer is meant to be pulled all the way in/on. Pulling it out by any amount would be a bad idea, the crank bolt could not be tightened properly and the crank timing gear could walk if you did this. Don't do it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
It sounds like you want to pull the harmonic balancer forward on the crankshaft a little. That would mean you need to leave the bolt loose. That would be all bad. You tourqe it and leave it alone. That's sounds odd to me that W and C are the same balancer but it does list it that way.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only pulled it out a few turns - I really torqued the hell out of it. Yet, with the belt on the alternator, it lines up right between the two rings on the crank pulley. Once again, I'm not sure if the pulleys are matched to the W, if they're different for the 289/302. If anyone has a good set of pulleys for sale or trade (see my thread misc parts for trade or free), I think I'd be interested. The balancer is a four-bolter. I'll snap a few pics and post.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Sounds like you need a pulley spacer. I had to use one on my 393W when I changed from a stock damper to an aftermarket 'fluid'-type as well... Check these out

·
5,470 Posts
Measure your stock damper from the end of the crank snout (where it bottoms out against the crank) to the pulley face. Do the same with your new one. Calculate difference, and order the correct spacer.

To make matters even more interesting, I'm using a 5.0 Mustang smaller diameter (underdrive) crank pulley for the flat ribbed belt system. I ended up needing to stack two spacers to get the correct alignment.

I'll be converting AlphaCat's 351C-4V to a flat-belt system as well, again with an aftermarket damper, using pulleys scavenged from newer cars at the local junkyard. I'll be modifying and/or fabricating brackets to fit. That should really get interesting! I refuse to pay over a grand for a March pulley/bracket system.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
There are various thickness spacers available for the damper, at least all the aftermarket ones I have seen. I do not remember what the increments are but i would go down that path before messing with pulling the damper in and out. Get that damper messed up and it starts doing things internally that do not show up right away but could lead to catastrophic failure like bearings and crank breakage.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
...Figure the first ring for both should relate to the alternator, with the second (if I had second ring on water pump pulley) being for the a/c and/or p/s? Wanna be sure. Thanks in advance, Eric.
The first is for the alternator as you've suggested, the second for the PS and the third (on the crank pulley, a wider groove/belt) would be for AC. Sent you a picture of the two groove WP pulley.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
May need the spacers, Milo. Here are some setup pics. The ring nearest the balancer mates to the alternator and water pump, right? I also need an alternator bracket for the W that bolts to the head side, if anyone has. Check my freebie/trade items at: http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?58407-Parts-for-giveaway-or-trade .
View attachment 28759 View attachment 28760 View attachment 28761
To me you don't have a problem with the pulley's, it's your alternator bracket that isn't the right one. It's not long enough and sticks out too far for the alternator to bolt up to the head. The long bolt that is on top of the alternator with the long aluminum spacer is supposed to be bolted to the head. If you bolt the thing to the head and get the right bracket, you will be fine. The alternator will sit back far enough for the belt to line up.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Here are some pictures of what I found. For the bracket that you have on there now, You are missing a piece. The following two pictures will show the part and where it goes.

The other pictures show that the alternator is bolted right up to the head with a different upper bracket. It was hard to find a picture off of the net, because most pictures of motors it seems are taken from the driver side for some reason. You will have to zoom in. Personally I think your going to have to bolt it right to the head and use a different upper bracket to get it to aline.

·
5,470 Posts
Did you actually measure the two dampers? When I put on my new aftermarket damper, I only needed a .350" spacer.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep. I set them side-by-side on my countertop, with the faces pointing up (where pulley bolts), then with a level rested it across the original, and measured 5/8 or .625 indeed. I think the original was a '69. Get this, the original weighs 10.2lbs, whereas the Fluidampr weighs 12.6. I thought the lighter the better...

·
5,470 Posts
Actually, there were a bunch of different weight balancers for 351Cs. 2Vs got the narrowest (lightest), then 4Vs were heavier (wider), and Boss 351s were wider still!

If the spacer is not quite right, you can fudge the fit a little bit by shimming out the accessories with washers... I had to do that with mine with the stock damper and stock pulley. Not elegant, but it works! Now with the aftermarket damper and aftermarket pulley, I had to use two spacers, stacked. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
A good way to align a pulley, is to use one of those small half inch in diameter by 2 inch long laser lights you find at a dollar store. They sit nice in the "V" of the pulley. Since it is basically self aligning (the laser light) it will show on the next pulley if it is centered or not.

·
5,470 Posts
^^^ Good idea!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts