Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced my front end suspension but it is so out of alignment that i cant drive it to get it aligned. the bottoms of the tires bow in when siting still and when i drive its almost like they bow out and are riding on the walls of the tires. Can someone please give me a step by step on how to fix this

·
Registered
798 Posts
I recently replaced my front end suspension but it is so out of alignment that i cant drive it to get it aligned. the bottoms of the tires bow in when siting still and when i drive its almost like they bow out and are riding on the walls of the tires. Can someone please give me a step by step on how to fix this
Alignments are tricky, and take a lot of patience to do.

IMO, A good alignment shop would be your best bet.

Pete

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Have it towed.

It's an unplanned expenditure, but the safest way to get it to point b without killing anyone.

Ask the local alignment shop if they have a tow truck, and if so will they give you a discount for the tow/alignment combination.

·
Registered
667 Posts
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...=0CAUQBSgA&q=do+it+yourself+Alignment&spell=1

I just get them where it looks like it should then with your sleves lose drive it in an empty lot or non busy road and keep addjusting the sleves till it gets better. What else helps is if all four tires are the same size take a tape measure and find the center of your rear tires then take that measurement and aply it to the front of your front tires when you have that close it should read the same on the back side of your front tires

·
Registered
441 Posts
$50.00 to $100.00 for a tow. I i charge $75.00 an hour if i work on a Sunday becouse i lose that time away from family time you'll spend all day and still not get close enough to drive it. so do somthing with family and call a wecker

·
Registered
298 Posts
Take a tape measure or just eye-ball the front tires and make them straight ahead by turning the tie rod sleeves (get a sleeve wrench) for toe-in adjustment. Adjust the camber (eccentric on the lower control arm) first so the tires tilt in 2-3 degrees on the bottom---you can see the tilt. Then do toe-in (always last), center the steering wheel when you do it. Center the steering wheel and then look/measure the toe-in. The Ford manual has a good diagram telling you which way to turn the sleeves to move the toe-in/out and not effect wheel center. You can drive it then with camber and caster off some. Crazy me...I've driven these cars many times with alignment all over the place--but not too, too fast. You probably have one tire toe'd in or out a lot and that makes it scary--so just make both tires straight. I do my own front end alignments and I like the steering wheels perfectly centered unless the steering box is worn there. Toe-in and camber are easy. Caster is the hard one, but I got a bubble alignment tool from Eastwood that makes it easy now. But usually if no one has changed the back nut on the strut rod bushing, the caster is OK and the car does not pull, but caster also helps the wheel return to center after a turn just like a wheel caster on a chair. You can do it yourself. Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts