Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was a very uninformed cougar shopper three years ago, going just on the fact that I had to have one. After sitting for two years needing a new engine I started working on the suspension. The rear suspension seemed to be a mixture of loud clunks and squeaks. I ordered new leaf spring bushings and when I got underneath the car I noticed that the I noticed that the piece of the frame that the shocks bolt into was a crumpled mess. One side was cracked away from the frame and the holes for the top end of the shocks were nearly as big around as the shocks themselves. I took it to a frame shop to have the cracks welded, at which point the guy said that the air shocks that had been there at one time had caused most of the damage.

Needless to say I'm not satisfied with results, there are still clunks and squeaks. I'm assuming that I would need a piece from another car and to have the whole thing replaced. I guess my questions are; is this a part that can be ordered?, can the piece be easily cut out from another car?, how much would the piece run?, is it going to cost an arm and a leg to have the new piece welded in?

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated. I'm fairly new at this, perhaps you would say I'm a "motor head" on the 10 year plan. Seven more to go...Thanks

1 - 1 of 1 Posts