Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im rebuilding a 390 s code out of a 68 xr7.there are small hollow pins that slide into holes in the top of the heads. i did not notice a smog pump on this motor or any air tubes when i took it apart.should this motor have a smog pump on it.also should there be a windage tray under the intake

·
11,000 Posts
There should be an oil splash shield under the intake. It directs oil splash away from the bottom of the intake, keeping the intake cooler and improving performance.

All S code 390 GT 1968 Cougars came from the factory with Thermactor smog system. It was very unpopular with the dealer service departments. Many systems were removed at the first tuneup and discarded.

All the parts for the system are available as reproductions. Pumps are available either working or with internal parts removed to disable them. A complete system sells for around $1500 including all parts brand new. It has little effect on the way the engine runs, the big drawback is when changing spark plugs.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there is a shield right under the intake. that the only one. also do i need the smog parts? if not what do i do with the holes in the heads where the little tubes go.

·
11,000 Posts
You can plug the holes in the heads with screw thread plugs, they are I believe 7/16" fine thread. Such plugs were sold by Ford for this purpose, they are on Ebay constantly and sell for about $40 a set. Or you can source something that fits from your local hardware store.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Besure to use antiseize incase you ever need to remove them...

Bruce

1 - 5 of 5 Posts