Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drained the system when I replaced the heater core and have been unable to get what seems to be some trapped air out. I have run the car, driven the car and done everything I can think of to get it to circulate so I can add the remaining coolant. It has taken a total of a gallon and won't take more. Help me Mr. Wizard!!!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Did you turn the HEATER on, maybe allowing water to flow into heater coil will help.

Does the engine come up to normal temp?

Do all the hoses get HOT?

Did you SAVE ALL the fluid you drained, and this is how you know it is short fluid?

In my Buick street rod I had times when the heater wouldn't put out heat, I found that driving it, and under load, such as going up a hill with fan on high I was able to rid the system of the air lock. Increasing RPM seemed to help too.

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
913 Posts
You may have to remove one of your heater hoses while the engine is running and purge the air, I think the hose going to the water pump would be best. Be careful if water is hot!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi Pat, remember a similar problem with my 67 Mustang. Could not fill the system fully and had no heat. Turned out to be the top heater hose getting pinched between the firewall and connection on the heater matrix. Result no coolant getting through the hearter or back to the block. I don't know whether that might apply to a 69 Cougar though.

Whatever it is good luck with it!

Peter Lynn

·
Registered
439 Posts
Try running the car without the radiator cap on for about 20 min. while squezzing (sp) the upper hose a couple of times a min.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts