Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing factory ac in my 67. Can anyone recommen where to have the evaporator check out and get a new heater core, I also need a vacuum storage tank & check valve, heater water valve and the foam seal kit for interior of suit case.All help appreciated. Thanks Dave:1zhelp:

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Hey Dave...

Been there, done that.

When I got my '67, all the A/C had been yanked out from the firewall forward so the PO could have room for his 351C (the swapping with a 302 of which allowed me to get the basketcase, errrr....car....for 1 grand). Anyway, I digress (as is common with me...but I digress yet again...)

I replaced my evap core and heater core with all new ones from Mustangs Unlimited (as I recall). I got the seal kit for the box and the check valve (along with all the engine compartment and mounting stuff and compressor) from John's Classic Cougars. I already had the vacuum can. The water valve you can find on Ebay (or from your local PepBoys/Kragen - which can also provide the heater core, for that matter).

It took some time, but it's all hooked up now, and worked GREAT for about 4 days until the freon leaked out...(after being fully pressure/leak tested by the guy who filled it - *sigh*) So aside from that, it's not an impossible project, and it's great to have it all working as Mr. Mercury (who?) intended.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Mustangs Unlimited, Autorkafters, Classic Auto Air, and Vintage Air can all help you with most parts (Classic Auto Air and Vintage Air will not have the box seal kits). The heater core and the check valve (aftermarket plastic, not metal) are available at most local parts stores.

·
Registered
117 Posts
So is it possible to still get freon? I thought I read in other posts that freon was illegal now.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Freon's illegal to sell to us poor shmucks...but "licensed" mechanics can still get it until the supply runs out (they don't manufacture it anymore).

There's a thread in here somewhere discussing the conversion (or non-conversion, actually, it sounded like) necessary to run the new coolant in the old-type system. It sounds too good to be true - I was told I'd have to swap out the compressor and the coolant lines (due to connection end changes necessary) to run the new stuff...anyone actually DONE it???

·
Registered
209 Posts
We own a motorcycle dealership, and my dad does work on cars. We have all the stuff to add freon to cars. He said that I would have to just buy the new style ac kit from auto aire or vintage air. Those new systems use the new freon, R-34 or R-134, I can't remember what it is called. You won't have to worry about the old style freon anymore. I took out all my ac components since they don't work anyway and it saves a lot of weight. Any car dealership can put the new style freon in your system. I have no idea how much that would cost. Good luck

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Figure about a grand for a complete Vintage Air system. Of course there are options involved which will either take you above or below that figure.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
TCo614, your posts crack me up sometimes, specially when you digress:)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Freon is still available but hideously expensive, about $30/lb last time I checked. Opinion varies on what it requries to do the swap. I'm running R134A with all original 69 parts except the compressor and no problems yet. The system has only been in a year but it still blows cold (Already used it this year). A good flush kit and a new dryer is probably all you have to use to swap over. I have read (in M&F) that with R134A you should get a better (bigger) condensor to get the best out of R134A, though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:1poke: Bruce what compressor do you have? I swaped a 5.0 efi and aod trans out of 93 mustang gt. I have every thing from the firewall out from the stang. I'm going yo use it, do you know of any problems? I know I'll have to have the lines made but anything else. Thanks Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts