Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
I installed a Classic Auto air "perfect-fit" kit in my 69 hardtop a few years ago. The kit was fairly easy to install and it cools the car really well. The kit came with some vents that are pretty cheesy. I swapped in the lower dash from a factory air-conditioned car and connected the vent hoses from the kit to the factory vents. I had to cut an unused mounting ear off the compressor to clear the monte carlo bar in the engine compartment.

CAA's customer service is good too. I had problems with a couple of components (actuator motor and expansion valve) and they replaced them without any problem.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reference, much appreciated.

Does anyone know if there are any material differences between a hardtop and a convertible that would cause problems with installation?

·
Registered
442 Posts
I changed my factory air to Classic auto air in my 1970 hard top. The change over was very easy, ask for Ron, he has a 70 hard top and works at classic Auto Air. The directions were easy to follow and they are willing to entertaine dumb newbee questions. I was so happy with the change over I ordered a complete kit for my 70 convertible that was without factory air. I ordered the perfect fit series and just bought a used factory air dash frame to replace the non air dash frame. I'm just waiting for the car to complete time in paint and body jail to start putting it together. Sal

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My car did not come with fatory air. Does that mean I will need a used factory air dash frame? Or can I fit the system to my existing dash frame?

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have Vintage Air in my 69. I works great. My car came with factory air, someone removed it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
[/So, I guess this is.a more economical way to go, instead of trying to refurbush the system that came in a milk crate in my trunk?

JohnB]

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
[/So, I guess this is.a more economical way to go, instead of trying to refurbush the system that came in a milk crate in my trunk?

JohnB]

Maybe not necessarily a "more economical" approach. But the performance and lack of headaches trying to patch a stock system back together makes it well worthwhile. My car had factory AC and it was even working. Yet, I STILL yanked it all out in favor of a Vintage Air system. They're THAT good!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts