Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering putting a set of air bags in the rear of my '68 XR7 to allow me the option of raising the rear height of the car while still maintaining the "stock ride and ride height" when desired and to be able to add a little air and raise the rear a little without significantly changing the ride. I have seen these kits available for many different cars and trucks but have not been able, so far, to locate a set to bolt on to the Cougar or a Mustang for that matter. They seem to be popular for light pickup trucks amd a number of imports and newer cars as well. They mount to the frame and to the center of the leaf springs and seem to be available with and without on-board compressors. They are similar to the units that some of the custom car builders use to lower cars to the ground, or "bounch the front end of the car like dribbling a basketball, only they eliminate all the original suspension components to do that...
Anyone done this, or know of anyone that has done this and might be able to help? I would rather not go the air-shock route, they stiffen up the ride and are notorious for leaks.
Appreciate any comments or help.
Thanks
Charlie

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
This is what you need:

http://www.ridetech.com/store/airoverleaf/

Don't worry that there may not be a Cougar or Mustang specific application listed. The air over leaf is a very basic system and can be universally applied. Besides, the company was founded on the owner's then 73 or so Mustang. So there is definitely an application available for yours.

If you want to take advantage of the ability to lower the car when parked and then raise it back up to stock height when operating, consider the need to remove a leaf or two from each spring pack. I'm only running the two longest leafs (of 4) per side in the rear.

However, one drawback is that the less leafs in the stack then can cause easier wrap-up upon heavy acceleration and wheelhop is a common result. I'm looking at investing is a set of Cal-Tracks in the near future to eliminate that problem.

I also don't have anything adjustable on the front.... yet. But eventually I'll replace the front springs and shocks with a pair of Shockwaves that will tie in to the tank and compressor system already on board for the rear.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For now I am looking to be able to lower to stock and be able to raise it it up about 4" or a little more if possible. I checked the site suggested and it looks like the top of the list at that link is the one? This is the one I think I need, let me know if I am way off. Thanks for the info, maybe someday I will do both ends but rear is what I am looking at now.

AIRoverLeaf - 2000lb sideframe / 2.5" leaf bracket kit
Part #: 19002002
Charlie

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts