Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I am wanting to add a small amp to my 69 AM/FM stereo, so i went to BestBuy to look for one. The sales guy talked to their installer and he said that you couldn't unless you change the stereo first. Something about the way the speakers are grounded(common ground i think he said). I don't think this is true, but I don't want to spend the money on an amp and it not work, because I don't think that they are returnable once you install them.
I usually don't listen to the radio that much when I am cruising, but on long drives to some shows it would be nice to have better sounding music with some bass and power. I have thought about adding a cd changer, but I want to keep the trunk area as stock looking as possible and will that be good enough sounding? I don't care about the window shaking bass, but like it to have some.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Have you thought about a stealth system. Hide a head unit in the glove box, CD changer under passenger seat, and amp under driver seat, and wire it to a seperate power supply. That way, you can keep your stock unit for looks and have the sound you want in the other deck.
I have a amp and CD changer under my seat, and a face plate deck in my dash. My car (Fairlane) didnt have a radio when I got it, and the cost to find a stock radio wasnt worth it for the sound they lack. I love my music :D

Rick

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've used something called a hi/low signal converter to connect an amp to a stereo not equipped for such. It wasn't a stereo that old but I don't see why you couldn't use it......I would suggest asking a local car stereo shop.....

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rick, I have thought of that but that is a lot of money for now. I have other fish to fry first.

6t7-2v, I have seen those and was going to use one with the amp before I had talked to the people at Best Buy. I will have to talk to some other stereo places I guess.

Also, I don't think this will really matter, but the radio I am using is from a 1979 Ford Econoline. Looks basically the same and wires the same. My cat had an aftermarket cassette radio in it when I got it.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
I understand the lack of money. Hopefully you can find something that will work, good luck.

Rick

·
Registered
794 Posts
the line level converter (hi/low) will work with the 79 factory radio only if the radio was not originally used in a "factory amplified" system. Yes, they did use factory amplified systems in 79.

The radio must have the ability to drive speakers by itself to be used with a hi/low converter. Common ground does not matter.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks CrazyCat! Now i just have to ask my dad if he remembers if the van had a factory amp. I think that it may have. Maybe I can get the factory amp to use also. Is there anyway you can tell by looking at the radio?
I have the radio hooked up and it plays fine, just not real good sounding.

·
Registered
144 Posts
This is a similiar question that involves aftermarket stereos. I'm planning on putting a CD player in my '67 in place of the original. I want it to be mounted right were the original was. My question involves the radio bezel.
Can that thing be cut to put a CD player in it? I've been warned about cutting it because it's pot metal and it will break. I'm sure there has to be a way to do it somehow......is there? Or do i have to find some other bezel or make one out of something? Much appreciation for any help :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
i'm about to do the same thing with a cd player in the stock radio position, however, I went on ebay and bought another bezel for like $10 or something like that. I'll be using a dremel with the fiberglass reinforced cutting disks as far as I know...

Just my 2cents...

Robert

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
has anyone thought about just leaving the stock radio in their car?? lol jk jk.. yeah i know, im the youngun with no tunes to brag about, but thats ok. however i did hear of this one setup where you plug a CD changer inline of your antenna and set a preset station on your stock radio that will get a signal from the CD changer and transmit it through the radio.... kinda trick really. lets you keep the stock radio working and put one of them high falootin CD players in the car. thought about it, but sound systems arent my thing. rather spend teh cash to go faster or look nicer.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
67cougar, the bezel can be cut. The PO of my 67 put in a CD and cut the bezel:cry: Anyway, just be careful when you cut...a Dremel would do a good job. Try to get another bezel to cut and keep yours intact in case you want to put the original radio back in. You can get some on ebay that have already been modified to some degree (read cheap!). Good luck!

PS. did you see that weatherstrip diagram I put up in the gallery?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Stock Setup

Hey Steve, I thought about leaving mine stock, I get this great oldies station out here. But anyways, I didnt. I wanted to keep the stock look, so I had a deck installed into my glove box and two 6x9s in the back. It sounds great too Not bad for 400 dollars. It wasent the cheapest way to go, but Its way better than I could of ever done.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Steve, I have the FM signal CD changer in the Fairlane. It actually works real good and got it on sale at Future Shop for 140. Canadian, the amp is only a 250 amp unit from Wal Mart for 60. Can. , and have a used head unit. And have 2 6x9 in the back, and 2 4 inch round in my kick panels. It sounds awesome for the Fairlane, and was pretty cheap as well. Stereo's dont have to be expensive for good sound:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts