Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just recently became the proud owner of an "S" code 69XR7. I'll post some pics as sson as i take some. One of the things i intend to do is install an in-dash CD player. I was just wondering if any one else had installed an aftermarket stereo that wasn't the standard dual knob style that fits in the console bezel? does anyone make a faceplate of some kind to give it a smooth tlook? TIA

mokankat

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
You have to butcher the faceplate to get it done or custom make your own faceplate. No one makes them. A better route is to pick up a Jensen or JVC unit from one of the mustang vendors. Great units that fit the original faceplate and include a Changer control in the deck. Mount the changer in the trunk and away you go...

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Custom AutoSound also makes some custom fit stereos. I plan on maybe going that route in the future. I think Logan is right that no one makes a cd that fits in the dash, the original bezel opening looks too narrow. I am keeping my eyes open for a 8 track for mine as it originaly had one and I think it would be cool for the nostaliga aspect as I remember jamming to them in my younger days in my first car, a 69 torino gt m code.The only thing is I dont know if I could live without the FM as the Ford 8 tracks for 69 only had AM as far as I know. mm

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info. the main reason i asked was i already have the headunit from the vehicle i just sold to by the Cougar.it's a fairly nice one that i wanted to re-use. hmmm....

mkk

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
No reason why you couldn't leave the radio right where it is, and custom mount the cd player in the glove box, or if it's a non-ac car, where the AC vents would normally be...

Me, I plan on leaving my AM radio there for the nostalgia look and getting a fully remote CD Changer setup...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well there is no radio of any kind in it at this point. just a gaping hole. i will have to see how difficult it's gonna be to custom make something. i may go with the changer suggestion you made earlier with one of the other models.

mkk

BTW: Logan, the pics of your 69 are awesome. i hope mine looks that good eventually.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Thanks for the kind words...

<vent>

Now is right about the time I need that encouragement. I've being driven mad by that damn car. Yeah, it looks awesome from 5 ft, but >I< know where every little nick and scratch is... Where EVERY single little mechanical issue, no matter how slight (and they're all slight, as everything's pretty much been replaced)...

At this point, it's all about the little annoying things that are really bugging me... Like the non-working AC (Ok, that's not so little... that's about $1500 of work to fix), the non-posi rear, the horrible rear drums, the dash lights don't work, the radio is dead, the vacuum motor for the headlights is fried...and on and on...

Then there's all the stuff that you hit yourself for being stupid. Like the accidental slice with the knife into the bottom of a pristine door panel... Or the dab of corrosive plastic adhesive that got on your paint and chewed a hole through it (a very small one not likely to ever be seen, but >I< know its there)....

But, the good news is, to the untrained eye, you'd think it was a miracle that it looks this good considering what it started out as... Never mind that it went from a $800 torn to hell beater to a show car in a year and a half...

</vent off>

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Logan, a little more encourgement. I dont belive 1500 is what it will take to do your ( and mine) air. I checked before on the parts to fix mine and I come up with only about 500 in the worse case. Auto Zone listed all the parts still. These are off the top of my head, Ive been drinking and I about got sun stroke today but here goes. Rebuilt compressor about $100. Condensor about $100. Recevier Dryer $50. I knew I probably had some good hoses so I dint price them and I forgot to price a new expansion valve, you will need a conversion kit for 134A if you go that route but there not very much. See thats along way from $1500!!! My problem is that I intended to do mine before now and every time I just about get ahead something else come up more important than my air. Like a new radiator now and getting my truck project done before winter.By the way my radio sucks, it might as well be dead. mm

·
Registered
28 Posts
I took my glove box out and mounted a tape deck there. It's kind of hard to reach, but my 8 track is undisturbed. I couldn't bring myself to cut any stock radio equip. Also, kenwood makes 4 by 10's that fit the back panel on my 70. They sound pretty good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts