1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My original steering wheel on my 70 Coupe is
all messed up. As I am trying to build the
hotrod I wished I had as a teenager, I want
to get one of those aftermarket steering wheels.
The classic one with the three chrome spokes
with the holes in em.

Can I still get these? Do they fit and work ok?

-Kevin

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Grant still makes them. Most vendors will have them. With the proper adapter, it should work. But my experience is with 67 models. Maybe some 70 guys\gals will confirm.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I put a Grant on my 1970...the same one you mentioned, but the spokes are black. You'll need both a column adapter and a horn kit. Both are available from Grant, and the instructions are pretty much self-explanatory. There's also a tech line for "instant" help.

It looks and functions fine, but I used a smaller diameter than stock (13-1/2" or 14"), and combined the wider rim and my 6' height, the top of the rim slightly blocks out my view of the tops of the gauges, and I have to raise up slightly and look over the top of the wheel to see my speed, RPM's, etc.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I saw one identical to what you are looking for in Autozone yesterday. Very reasonable in price and will fit with no problem with the adaptor kit mentioned by Barry. It is made by Grant.

Jim

·
Registered
408 Posts
My 69 came with a grant wheel. It is off now in favour of a rimblow wheel from a 72 mustang mach 1. Looks better to me and I prefer the feel. Each to his own.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I went with a Lecara "Shelby Like" wheel. The wheel itself is wood and looks great next to the XR7 woodgrain and is slightly smaller than stock at 14inches, so I can still clearly see the gauges. I ended up using the medallion from a cougar key fob from John's Cougars as a center piece. I recently took some pictures of my new Hurst lever mounted to my pro 5.0 shifter on my T5, and of course the steering wheels is pretty clear in the pics. You can check them out here:

http://www.tamos.net/~jimk/t5.avi

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
The line-of-site thing is an issue with the smaller steering wheels. I ran into that problem with mine and as a result, flip-flopped a few of the gauges in the XR-7 panel so I can see the gas gauge better. I wouldn't trade the looks of the new wheel though.

Mark

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Jim K-

Without getting too much off topic, I gotta tell you that yours is about the best-looking aftermarket steering wheel I've seen!

·
Registered
885 Posts
So Jim,

Your wheel is actually a Shelby replica if I'm not mistaken. Mustangs Unlimited offers these, and you can choose from a few different horn buttons as long as it's not Cougar.

Steve C.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
They restore the original steering wheels and are very desireable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts