Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything out there in the line of an aftermarket turn signal system for my XR7?
I rewired it over the winter and was wondering if there was a smaller, more efficient system available...

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Yes there is, been on the market for quite some years now too, there is Vic Yarberry´s solid state system, and also Eric Overton had an electronic ts system, Dillotronics i believe it was named, and then there is Gulf00 on the forum here that also has an electronic ts system, i believe most of these units are sold trough our Cougar vendors, at least all the Cougar vendors has electronic ts systems listed in their catalogs, web sites etc

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Is there anything out there in the line of an aftermarket turn signal system for my XR7?
I rewired it over the winter and was wondering if there was a smaller, more efficient system available...
When you rewired, did you get the lights to work fine on yours? if so, Why would you want to go with a smaller unit just to go smaller. All this said, not really knowing how far you got, just a question.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I rewired with an all new harness from Ron Francis.. The 24/7 harness... did not want to bother with trying to figure out how to wire in the original sequential system.. Dont have lights wired in yet..

·
Registered
708 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
There is a guy in Albuquerque, NM. Cougars unlimited. Plugs in to the original wiring. 5 minutes and you are lit up. Had it on my 68 XR7 for the last 6 years, no problems.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I used the solid state unit from WCCC and it eliminated a lot of stuff in the trunk. I also swapped out the bulbs to LED's from superbrightleds.com and now the lights sequence faster and I'm sure are easier on the charging system.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
For your aftermarket harness, you might have to use the sequential systems sold by Mustang parts vendors, mainly for 94-up Mustangs. Check with Mustangs Plus, or any other similar vendor. You might have to adapt the "dynamite sticks" used in 68-70 $helby Mustangs.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I bought the unit that WCCC West Coast Classic Cougar sells. Plugged it in and bye bye problems. In my opinion it is not worh bothering with the old sequentials unless you plan on running on the concours, or being 100% original. Simple unplug and replug install and reasonable price. Works for me...

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I plan on doing all I can to get the original setup working 100 percent, then (someone here convinced me) I will by the plug and play from WCCC and use that the majority of the time. If I am going to a concours judging event I can plug the original back in.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Sounds like the best of both worlds. A set that works for around town and a set for the judges. I'm sure you will be happy with the set up from WCCC, I know I love mine!!

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
I plan on doing all I can to get the original setup working 100 percent, then (someone here convinced me) I will by the plug and play from WCCC and use that the majority of the time. If I am going to a concours judging event I can plug the original back in.
In a concours judging event, the only things that are judged are those that can be seen. Judges are not to remove or move items in the car in order to judge. Since the sequential turn signal equipment is under the cardboard side pieces which themselves are under the trunk mat, you won't loose points in a judged event. The technical judging portion where everything is checked for proper function only subtracts points if the turn signals don't work. There is no listening for the cam movement in the original and subtracting points if it isn't heard. Bottom line-go with original or go with the electronic replacement but there is no need to get both systems working, at least not for judging purposes.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
The judging sheets that I have state that they must hear the turn signal motor noise in trunk? Either way I want to ensure the original system is functional just cause.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Then you have different judging sheets and rules than we use out west. In that case, I suggest you carry on with your two-system idea.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts