Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a list of aftermarket parts that work so I can stop wasting my time and money on parts that don't work.

I'm working on my 67xr7gt, bought a set door handles, they look great and fit on the door, but the linkage is wrong.

Bought a rear valance panel, looks great, doesn't fit, tryed it on my other cougar and it doesn't fit it either.

I agree that nothing fits like OEM.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Buy your parts from West Coast Classic Cougar only....Don stands behind what he sells. If it is not right, he will make it right....

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Buy your parts from West Coast Classic Cougar only.
Well, does that mean we should avoid that crook Scott T. in Arizona? I had heard good things about him.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
i don't think theres a list out there but there alot of guys to avoid---i bought aftermarket front and rear valances and they worked pretty good---so there is one for and one against--i'd ask around---even a simple thing like a stoplight switch or a door regulator can be a real pain if you have to fix it twice
doctordesoto

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
We try to update our site as we get feedback, here is one example. Here are some search words to use on our site to find more less than stellar repros;

Pathetic
crap
off shore
junk
poor quality
a joke
no returns on this piece of @#$%&

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Don, but I'm looking for parts that work.
I have purchased parts from WCCC and was very pleased with them. Went through another company to save a buck and now I'm buying twice.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
The key is knowing what is the same as a Mustang and what isn't. We have all made this mistake many times. The Mustang parts vendors work on the basis that everything is the same until proven otherwise, and they see the customer as the product tester. You might want to post here before you buy a part and ask if the Mustang part and the Cougar part is the same.

The list you are looking for is called the Mercury Master Parts Catalog. You will also need the Ford Master Parts Catalog. You look up the part for Mustang, and then you check to see if the Cougar used the same part number. This is as close as you can get. The catalogs are sometimes available on eBay, at a cost of several hundred dollars or copies on disc at a lot less. I have both, and the hard copies are the easiest to use, in my opinion.

Finally, there are some parts out there that don't work on anything... Again, your best shot is to either see the reviews on Dons site, or post here.

·
Registered
309 Posts
For a quick reference of most parts I use a Mustang catalog and some of the old Cougar catalogs. But sometimes even that is not right, I don't know were some of these vendors come up with some of the most flagerantly wrong numbers. Oh well Dons only a phone call away, right!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts