Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok....so i know this is a topic that has been discussed, and I know that there are those who will say "run the OE".....

That said, I would like to upgrade the harness being that the rest of the car is modified. If all else fails, I will be purchasing the Isis set up.

Please let me know what you guys think, if I am way off or if their are things that will not sync/ be missing. I am assuming all is simmilar in the harness aside from the sequentials(which the drake kit should take care of?). What I am thinking will work is the following-

http://www.mustangdepot.com/OnLineCatalog/Electrical/shlby-tl-kit.htm

part #'s from the above page-
STL-13A366
STL-EVF-13350

&

http://www.mustangdepot.com/OnLineCatalog/Electrical/wiring-sys.htm

part # from the above page-
AAW-510055

thx for the input in advance

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Hang on a second - I haven't seen that kit before? Not sure how adaptable it will be with the cat - as there are differences. Are you going stock components? How comfortable are you with test meter/electrical stuff???

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I am sure I could figure things out if need be. What differences do you mean off the top of your head? Aside from the sequentials, all else should be pretty much the same. Am I overlooking something? Components would be after market, but nothing exotic.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
that harness kit is waaay to expensive for what it is, there are kits out there for half of that ,

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Exactly what I thought - particularly if you would end up cutting it up some. Is you car an Xr7 if so there will be many differences from a mustang,,,,

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Car is not an xr7, not sure of the major differences. Thought the sequentials were the only pain point. True on the price, just figured it would come with similar connectors. Could go with painless, which is cheaper.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Painless would be even "worse" as far as ease of install since you would have to adapt EVERYTHING. In all honesty, I would only look at 2 options if you don't want total headaches - fix what you have, or get a decent OEM one from a coug vendor.....less money/headaches. But if you don't mind tackling the adaptation - it's not the worst idea to go the other way I suppose - just not gonna be easy.

On a pre-made Mustang harness - things are going to be in different locations/not the same connector/etc....I bet you you will have to cut and extend this and that to make it work. SO - why not use the same effort to fix what you have? Unless it's been chewed to bits by some varmits...? TO me no matter which way you go - your looking at a good amount of work. And another thought is don't even think about using butt connector/splice connectors! Solder and heat shrink everything - Well worth the time. Chasing down bad connections after all this work would suck the big wazoo! Goog luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm almost through putting a Painless harness in my 69 XR7. The real challenge is adapting the gauge cluster - and deciding if I want to get the "low fuel" gauge and "door ajar" pinned correctly. The sequential lights aren't that bad, and there has been no extending/shortening of anything. It's a very nice product, expensive yes, but much better than what I had. The amount of copper in the wiring is more than the factory, and the insulation is better.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I'm almost through putting a Painless harness in my 69 XR7. The real challenge is adapting the gauge cluster - and deciding if I want to get the "low fuel" gauge and "door ajar" pinned correctly. The sequential lights aren't that bad, and there has been no extending/shortening of anything. It's a very nice product, expensive yes, but much better than what I had. The amount of copper in the wiring is more than the factory, and the insulation is better.
I don't doubt the quality is way better - any chance you got the step by step pics/info to share? This seems to come up from time to time and I bet it would really help out the next poor soul who decides to go this route - Glad it's working out!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts