Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have both of the seat risers out of my 67 cougar. Has anybody tried to install a carpet without the seat risers in?? I am worried that the carpet wont fit with the seats installed (w/o the seat risers)....any suggestions before i purchase a carpet?

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
I bought a carpet, and, with the inside ( seats, console, etc...) empty (haven't done it yet), You are supposed to lay the carpet in , trim as required, even if pre-formed, and let it bake in the sun, in place for the better part of a hot sunny day. The only requirement is to lay it over your old carpet first , before hand, and match/cut the perforations.

·
Registered
79 Posts
lay the carpet in the sun first to help flatten out from being in the box. If you have a steamer you can steam it from the back side only and it will do the same thing. Next install it in the car, but do not trim it out for the sill plates yet. Get everything installed (seats, console, kick panels etc.) then do the sill plates last. the reason for this is because if you didn't have carpet allowed for the seats being bolted in it will pull the carpet away from the sill plates. Another trick where the pieces of carpet crosses by the sill plate is to trim them so that both layers lay flat in that area so the sill plate doesn't have a hump in it. The dimmer switch area make an x cut across the switch not to big and push it down around switch to trim. If you careful you won't have to use the plastic trim ring.(make sure to remove rubber switch cover first). Just be careful in pre cutting carpets so that you don't trim it too short.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my question is....if i dont have the seat risers in (leaving them out), will a carpet from mu fit? The carpets made for the cougars/mustangs are made for a car with seat risers. If I dont have mine in, do I need a custom carpet or do will the carpet still fit (from MU).

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
No, the carpet will not fit, at least not ACC carpet (which MU sells) which is die formed to fit over the risers.

More importantly, why are you leaving the risers out? The risers are thicker metal. If you are going to be bolting whatever seats you plan to use straight to the floorpan, that is not going to be strong enough or safe for the mass of the seat.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
79 Posts
I agree with 1969XR7 Vert that the molded carpet will not fit unless the seat riser is installed. If you can find a way to safely mount the seat without the seat riser you can buy unbacked carpet and glue it in place. The unbacked carpet you can form to the floor when it's glued in place, but the down fall is obviously it's glued in . You need to change anything down the road the carpet can pulled back out, but it'll be ruined. If you need help with anything give me a shout or email. thanks,mike

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well they are 2005 cadillac cts seats....leather, power everything, heated...

I plan on creating a couple of brackets when installing them..connect some brackets to the frame rails. Thanks for all the help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts