Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this link on another forum and thought I'd post it here. It shows (mostly) American cars from a private collection in Bulawayo Rhodesia. If you scroll down there is a picture of a '68 Cougar. I'm amazed at how far these cars have traveled.

It was cool to see how many of the older cars were right hand drive.

·
Premium Member
13,578 Posts
I am assisting a fellow in Africa currently who is installing an ELFI setup in a non-LF equipped Cougar. Last week I was in touch with a fellow with an ELFI in Brazil. An ELFI is an Electronic Low Fuel Indicator kit that I designed, manufacture and sell. Pretty cool.

·
Super Moderator
11,006 Posts
Evidently the Oz XR series Falcons were sold in Africa as Fairmonts. Very cool to see those! Rhodesia was a very wealthy British colony until the 1970's, and imported a lot of everything from everywhere. Neat to see some of it has survived.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I think they are both Australian manufactured XW Fairmont sedans, probably from 1969 or 1970. I have never heard of an Australian GT500 and the don't look like an XY, which was built in 1971. They might be GTs though, judging by the vented bonnet on the first car and the badge on the grill of the second. Hard to tell from the photos. If they are GTs, they are pretty collectible cars. Shame about the condition.

I love Land Rovers. They never rust.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
^^ "vented bonnet" LOL, there's a term I guarantee you will never hear aywhere around here! I am surprised by where things continue to turn up. Somebody around here had an Anglia not unlike 69elim's --- I couldn't figure out what it was until now! They are kinda ugly. I wonder why car companies re-styled so differently for different markets only on certain models and not others? Some cars just seem to have universal appeal perhaps? I'm sure there were differences in safety requirements and such, but still....some models aren't even similar.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Regarding the Anglia, I remember my uncle had one. Back then it was considered to be a nice car. It had the ugliest greenish yellow you can think of and a factory continental kit. Those cars were popular and affordable here in the Europe when most people were poor and did their best to build our countries after world war 2.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Regarding the Anglia, I remember my uncle had one. Back then it was considered to be a nice car. It had the ugliest greenish yellow you can think of and a factory continental kit. Those cars were popular and affordable here in the Europe when most people were poor and did their best to build our countries after world war 2.
I didn't even know the Anglia existed before I read Harry Potter then saw the movies!!!! Those cars are goofy looking. They would be better if they could fly and had a mind of their own!!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Anglia with a continental kit...too funny...

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts