• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for the help on the 429s. I have just purchased a 72 convertible. I have a 351C or 400M with a newly rebuilt C6 transmission. I also have a guy who said he would sell a 69/70 429 with a C6 transmission bolted to it. He also said he had put a shift kit in the trasmission. He said this 429 has about 364 hp stock. He also said that if it was him he would bore and rebuild it. The asking price for both is 1000.00. I am looking for horsepower and speed. I would like the advice of all cougar experts on what I should do. Thanks a bunch!

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Humm, its a 364hp stock and he said you should rebuild it, for a grand. plan on another 2K building it up, then I would get the tranny checked, another 500 at least. So at Least $3500. Try and find a cheaper one I think, but thats just me. Even finding a stock 429/460 for a couple hundered bucks your ahead of the game.

Rick

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
granted cuz im a junk yard hound i would have done it like this.... i believe this can be accompished at any yard or in any part of the country for roughly the same price. there was a 460 in an old Lincoln Mark III at the yard i frequent a lil while ago. its still there, but only the shortblock now. i believe it has a C6 as well. that had 10.5 Compression and 365 hp dead stock. i think both could be had from that yard for about $500 or so. granted, you have to pull it yourself, but isnt that worth $500 to do it? id get that engine rebuilt, and have some port worh done to teh heads. get a single plane intake, a shift kit for the C6 and stab in a different cam. headers and that will go in the car as well, and id have fun with it. i bet 500 hp is easy. i have a buddy with a 460 running 12s in a 66 Fairlane. this is similar to the combo, except he has a 75 or so block( nothing exotic or that cant be had for about $200 at a yard out of a Big lincoln. ) . 10.5 compression too, but that wasnt stock. with an earlier engine you cen get the same ratio with less work. the heads i belive are better as well. i say 460 build up. and go out and cause trouble.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
429/460s

If you need to rebuild a 429, you will probably need to have the crank turned anyway, so what's to stop you from going with a 460 crank? You'll be getting new pistons when you bore the block anyway, and you can just get the 460 pistons. Voila, instant rebuilt 460!

One of the biggest improvements you can make on a 429/460 rebuild is to use a early (68-71) timing set. In 72 they retarded the crank sprocket and that derated the engine a whole bunch. When I was doing a water pump change on my wife's 77 Marquis 460, I said what the heck and I'll do a timing set, too. As long as I was doing a timing set, I put in a cheap aftermarket cam. Boy, did that car run different after that! Then I put on a set of factory duals, and then upgraded the 2.42 open rear to a 3.25 posi. That was one honkin' Big Merc! It would light the tires like nobody's business. This in a 5400 pound luxo-boat!

Just remember, a big block uses low end torque to make gobs of power, not RPM!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts