Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody tell me if the mustang power steering hoses (High Pressure and Return) from a 69 Mustang is the same as 69 Cougar. I blew a return line that comes from the cylinder back to the pump. Its the one that has the expandible metal sleeve around it. Advance auto, NAPA, Autozone don't have such a hose, they say. It has a fitting on one end and a nipple on the other end for another hose to clamp to, that goes on up to the pump after it goes thru the rubber insulator that is bolted to the frame. I was wondering if mustang hoses were the same, if so I could just order from NPD. Anybody Know Any Other Options: I'd appreciate hearing
Jimmy

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Yep, same hose as a Mustang. You could also probably just have one made up for it localy. mm

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Talking about that, the PO put a Ford Saphire PS pump etc on my 70 cougar, I guess it works, but anyway, while the guy was checking the brakes I noticed that the hoses from the PS were looking awfully shiney, so touched one, pure p/s fluid, the hoses are soaked. Any idea as to why, I would guess they are the wrong type hoses, when I checked on all his papers I see that the hose used is fuel hose with woven cloth type stuff on it. Do you think its the P/S mod thats not working, I can't really tell if the power steering works well or not, the car bounces around all over the place.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
modifiedmark's advise is good. Take your current hoses to local pressure hose shop and have them make up a set.

72cat clean and dry your hoses then trun steering wheel lock to lock a couple of times to identify where fluid is leaking. Then you have better chance of fix with out replacing something thats not broken.

·
Registered
614 Posts
72 cat -

Fuel hose definitely isn't compatible with P/S fluid. That, and fuel hose can't handle that kind of pressure, I think that's why they're saturated. I *think*. Actually, I've used fuel hose for return line before, but I'm not so sure that's the right way to do things.

If you can, try and get tranny cooler line for the return line, at least. A production-made, crimped supply line should already be to spec for the supply line.

Any other thoughts, guys? Besides the ones where I'm a dolt, of course. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
173 Posts
I just did the PS lines on my 69 cat, ordered all I needed out of the Mustangs Unlimited catalog and they all fit well. I had never done the job before, but it went fine.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I got a set from Mustangs Unlimited last summer and nothing was right with them (wrong lingth and fittings). I sent them back and had set made locally for less than half the cost.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I ordered control valve to power cylinder hoses(the short ones) from Mustangs unlimited and they were about 1/2 inch too short and the angle of fittings were different from the originals, it was a ***** but I got them on. Next time or suggest to others to take the originals to a hose shop and have them make them for you.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Swamper and ZT, thanks, will take your advice, interesting that thing about turning the steering wheel to lock a couple of times, I am also a bit worried about what they have done, I was reading the post by cougarbill, about the p/s unit, and it seems complicated, but the PO seemed to think it was not problem just changing the pump etc, the saphire one is minute compared to the original, [which he gave me], also the original has the metal pipes. Maybe I should just try and get the original one fixed. When the PO was working on the car [1996] there was no information for him on the net or anything, the internet is still pretty new here, lots of folks don't have it, he did not have the luxury I have of being able to ask you guys and get almost instant answers, so it is possible that some bad mods were done. Will take a photo of it when she gets out the brake place and you can see what I mean.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When you guy's have shop's make them, do they make the metal pipes and all, or do they use the old metal pipes and just put new hose on.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Yarddog -

If there's metal tubing involved, usually a shop that can make hoses can salvage the metal and re-use it (usually it's in good shape). They cut the crimped fittings off, make their measurements, and crimp new rubber and fittings on. Apparently it doesn't take much skill, cause I've known total idiots that can make a really decent hose (and I'm a complete idiot, so take it from me).
:1poke:

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Mine were done with new tubing and flange connecturs. There is no metal flex shielding on power hose.

·
Registered
175 Posts
My headers kept burning through the hoses so I just put a manual steering adapter on. Less power loss and I like the feel of the steering better now too.

·
Registered
269 Posts
While we are at it - what is the appropriate length of the return hose?

The return hoses I have purchased came as "too long" to cut off as needed. If I make it too short it kinks. Long enough and it flies close to the asphalt and eventually gets scraped through. It looks like it is installed correctly in the bracket with the other hose.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Any auto parts store should have the proper hose, or be able to get it within a day. If you do the job yourself, keep your hands and arms away from the steering wheel when you start the car. If the hoses are crossed by accident the wheel will act as if possessed, and can break an arm or whatever is in the way.

Steve

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Martin-

I don't know the difference between '67-'68 PS and '69-70, but I got perfect fit hoses -- twice -- from the NAPA in Pukalani (the one in the Terrace Center). My headers also burned through twice, finally I wrapped the pressure hose in header-wrap (Thermo-Tec) (the return line is safely routed behind the wrapped pressure line). I would have wrapped the headers, but that would have involved removing them, and I'm not pulling those cursed things until I have to pull the engine again.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Martin -

You wouldn't happen to have a picture of you return hose routing, would you? Maybe if anybody saw your current routing and bracketry, they could give you a little advice.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay guys heres what I come up with. I went to Napa and Advance Auto and they couldn't help at all. So I went to Autozone and they had to order. The return hose was similar but not exact so I thought I could make it work, which i did. The high pressure hose wasn't even close so I left it with them. Came home ordered it from NPD and had it the next day. It was real close, but not perfectly the same but it worked. The problem with both is they are not made to where the rubber insulator will hold them stationary under the car. So what I did was install some air line fittings (4) on both sides of each hose so they cannot slide in the insulator to keep them stationary. Not factory PERFECT but will have to do. I hate rigging. Appreciate the response

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Just in case y'all are interested...

I just spoke to a guy at National Parts Depot, and they have a lower pressure hose for the '390 version (two-part pressure hose) that is concourse-correct, including the cute lil' flexible heat shield winding around the hose! KEWL!!!

And it's only 21.95!!! (MUCH more reasonable than NOS ones IF they can be found on Ebay - which have been going for near 150+)

So, my search for a NOS lower pressure hose ends here...I like NOS, but not for an extra 125 bucks, thankyouverymuch!

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
Paul i can fix your power steering once and for all. put a wrack and pinion mustang II front end on that baby and you wont need power steering. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts