Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need your guys help plz! I about to repaint my cougar I dont know what color to go with. I was thinking black with dark red Shelbyville strips or black with dark red strips on the side kinda like *cough* mopars from the early 70's that say XR7 in them. PLEASE HELP ME! :cry:

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
im not too partial of the black on red theme, but why not go for some of the 70 Eliminator style side stripes on the car?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I was just thinking earlier today that it might be fun to paint my next 69 a two collor sceam. One silver or white below side crease and contrasting maroon or dark green. It could be followed by going back to lighter paint on raised hood area.

I didn't feel it would be good to play with paint on my Eliminator.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
What color is your interior?
I am undecided also. I am not sure if I want to go back with the original color of white, which I like a lot, or something else, but what???? Im limited to what goes with a blue interior, orange would look silly. I do like the dark aqua marine metalic, but i am trying to stay away from dark colors if I can. This is a big desission.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
For light colors, I'd take white or silver and dump a crapload of blue pearl into the clearcoat. Wa-la, instant incredible paint job.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
hmmmm, im not a big fan of throwing pearls over white as they leave teh car looking like a dirty cream color when the light isnt hitting it. its only when the light hits it that you see the pearl in it and well, the car just looks funny otherwise. i work with a guy who has a 69 VW thats painted like that and thats just my opinoin of it. if you want a ligher color i like the Mazda Miata Crystal Blue Mica. ( code 23C ) ( err, i work at a pait store and i take small smears of colors that i like. ) there are a few other colors id go with that i really like, but umm those are ideas for my next 69 lol. so thats a secret as ive never seen one painted like that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The interior colors are black and dark. The color of the car is candy apple red with a vinyl top. I just want something different that you dont see too much. I also wanted to know if you drop a 460CJ in my 69 XR7 do I have to shave the shock towers?

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I like the colour on Logans car, it was what I wanted to paint our cougar, but decided against it cos of all the chrome in front, what about purple, like mine, or olle's, its unusual, looks quite good so long as you don't go for a bright purple, Olle's looks much better than mine cos' its a darker shade, paint it with micro-pearl so that it reflects differently in the light. Having said that, the first thing we did with our cougar was look for another colour, decided on avus blue [BMW M3 colour], then changed our mind the other day and have now gone for a darker blue with purple undertones, in micro-pearl. Hopefully it will be finished soon.

Good luck, its an important decision, and something you will have to live with for a long time, so don't rush, check out all the options.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Hey Bowl, when our cats were new they were almost twins!!! Mine was white with a blue vinyl top and its an XR7. I would have copied logans color if it would have matched the interior. Actually I was trying to duplicate the same type of intensity in blue when I chose my color. I would recommend that you actually see a car the color you want before you just pick one out of a book. I am not happy with the color match between the blue on my exterior and the blue on the interior. If you look at a color wheel blue has red on one side and green on the other, my exterior is on the red side and my interior is on the green side. It makes the interior look like "dirty" blue from standing outside the car. I agree with 69 on the pearl.
John
wvcat

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Hey WVCAT, why do I get this feeling of 'deja vu' when I read your post, like I've read it before....?:D

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I think they call that a senior moment... but I can't remember LOL

Don

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
What were we talking about again??:D

·
Registered
30 Posts
My 70 XR-7 has the ginger houndstooth interior, but the medium gold exterior. Outside, It currently looks like 3 day old butterscotch pudding left out.. I personally think it's a good candidate for a shade of yellow they used to call canary yellow.. But I'm getting hounded to leave it original.
I have been unable to find houndstooth vinyl top material to replace the top so I may just leave it off, paint the top the same shade paint as the color of the interior, or get a ginger shade of vinyl top.
But I have to think of the future too, and seems the originals go for tremendously more than the not so originals, when it comes time to sell. But it has to be something I'd be seen in too..
Willie

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I don't understand this vinyl story, why have vinyl at all, okay admittedly I never saw mine with vinyl, but to me it looks great the way it is now. Seems to me that vinyl just fades in the sun, gets old, cracks away and its more likely to cause the underneath metal to rust, causing more problems.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Exactly.. Which is why I think I'll paint the whole car one color, or paint the top the "ginger" or brown. (but do I paint it yellow or the original med. gold)
That is the problem I have now, lots of bubbles on the pillar under the vinyl top. Vinyl tops are ok for garage kept cars, driven sometimes..
Vinyl tops were put on cars to make them look like convertables, (as fake as they are) which it was known to be prestegious to have a convert. Willie

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Okay, personally I would dump the vinyl and paint her the same colour, don't make the top another colour, and if you do, don't go for gold........but.thats just my opinion, canary yellow and gold/brown..........uh uh. I still say that a really nice deep red in a good quality paint would look great, or purple!!! Deep blue would look good as well, all depends on your interior. If you can get hold of a sketch of your cougar, you can paste it into paint and then experiment with the different colours, paste a pic of another car with a colour you like next to the cougar and then use that dropper thing to copy the colour.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Interior is a shade of brown called ginger. It also has the houndstooth cloth. If I go too far off the original color, there is too much prep work, I'd rather stay near the gold, or a yellow. I absolutely hate red, so that is not an option. I'm not too fond of gold either, but I guess I have to decide if this is a keeper or just a money maker..
Willie

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
Dude,
I understand what you're going through. I've gone thru hell to figure out wehat color to paint my baby (67-XR&- originally lime frost). I wasn't sure about going LIght with a vinyl top or dark. All I know is I wanted it to look good. My favorite color is green so I opted for that. Take a look at the Boss 302 (http://www.boss302.com/registry) and check out the Mach 1's there. I think if you paint her light and don't go vinyl, you'll be sorry. Go med, to dark and just pick a color you like, it doesn't have to be original. Good luck and you'll see pic's of my decisio
n (many sleepless night) soon.

Sensei69

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts