Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All
I have the original paint on my 1967 XR7. I plan to keep it that way but there are a few areas of concern. The lower portion of thefront fenders have some paint issues. The rest of the car can be detailed. I will need to paint the areas but not the car. What type of paint was used originally? Was it Acrylic Enamal? If so is it possible to clear coat this to further protect the original paint? Thanks.

·
Registered
913 Posts
yes the original paint was Acrylic Enamel and yes it can be clear coated if finish is properly prepaired before clear, if that is what you desire.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I wouldn't bother with the clear coat until you commit to a total paint job. Just keep it up in good shape as best you can until then. BC/CC systems are designed to interlock chemically and vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. You don't want to chance a peeling mess because of incompatabilites!

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Our original paint was baked way back in 1968 unlike paints using urethane based hardeners of today. You do not put a paint with a hardener, like today's clear, on top of a non-hardened paint and expect not to react with it.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
If you want to make it shine like new - you can get one of those 3M restoration kits and get a very good gloss on it.....

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
A good body shop can paint the problem areas and tint the paint to match the original. I would recommend against clear coating the Cougar unless you are doing a complete paint job. Then you would use a Base coat/ clear coat paint. You can clear over an enamel which I have done before, but you need to do it about 4 hour after painting the car when the enamel is still a little soft. Clear coat over 44 yr old paint is a bad idea... My Boss Mustang is enamel and clear coat 4 hrs later. Back in the early 90's this was more common.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts